Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What happens if incidentally inhaled a little butane?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 araragi

araragi

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 01:53 AM

The lighter looks like this http://www.chemaxx.com/butane_lighter3.htm

I was wondering what would happen if I only pressed the black button but not roll the thing.

I suspected that it might cause the gas to come out, but wasn't sure so I took a sniff. Not sure what the smell was, might of been nothing.

It's been an hour and I seem fine. I heard there could be brain damage or instant death.

Should I still be worrying? Just worrying about it makes me feel like I'm dying..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 02:45 AM

Are you still alive ...??

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 03:18 AM

Butane is a hydrocarbon. This means when complete combustion occurs carbon dioxide is produced. However, if incomplete combustion occurs then carbon monoxide will be produced.

Either way, a quick sniff is very unlikely to cause any harm. Prolonged exposure might, however.

xXToffeeXx~

Edited by xXToffeeXx, 24 July 2016 - 03:19 AM.

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 03:27 AM

Occasional inhalation of small amounts isn't considered hazardous, butane can be used as a propellant in aerosol sprays like deodorants and cooking spray. Some people still don't like that idea however. Breathing concentrations of butane can be life threatening when done as volatile substance abuse.

Edited by Platypus, 24 July 2016 - 03:28 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:14 PM

I smoke a pipe with a lighter so I probably inhale 100x what you do every day, and while I wouldn't say it is "healthy" I think it's more likly the thing you are lighting is unhealthier then the gas itself. FYI, just guessing on the true purpose of OP, but may want to look into Pure's Isobutane lighters.

Edited by Trikein, 25 July 2016 - 12:15 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users