Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old IPad - please help some operating problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 peterlonz

peterlonz

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 11:09 PM

My Win 7 PC is down so I was forced to use an old iPad, (Model A 1219).
Managed to get it wirelessly connected & launched Safari.
Then discovered that huge portions of an already small screen were taken over by ads which I could see no way to clear.
I Googled for answers but then found:
  1) Google was not the home page & I found no way to make it so.
   2) Hoping to switch on an ad blocker - No luck, I first have to find the Safari menu & select preferences (as you would expect) which simply is nowhere to be found.
I know this sounds tragically inept but I spent well over an hour & got nowhere.
I have many other questions but 2 is enough for now.
Can anyone help who has not split his sides laughing?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 24 July 2016 - 08:19 AM.
moved from Mac OS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 11:37 PM

FYI, a model A1219 would be a 1st generation iPad...i.e. the original model.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ipad/specs/apple-ipad-original-specs.html

The preferences for Safari will be located in the Settings app (icon with the gears on it).

FWIW, Safari has no built-in ad blocker.  And you cannot add that function in unless you are running iOS 9 (the ability to use extensions for Safari was added in iOS 9), which a 1st generation iPad cannot do (maximum iOS version for a 1st generation iPad is iOS 5.1.1...see the above link).  The only way you will get an ad blocker is with a browser with a built-in ad blocker through the App Store.  BUT...that assumes you can find any apps on the App Store that will still run on iOS 5.1.1 or earlier.

And Safari does not technically have a way to set a home page.  It will open to the last page visited when you last used Safari.  There is a round about way where you save a page to your home screen and then start Safari using that icon for that page on your home screen.  Here are instructions:

http://www.technipages.com/ios-set-safari-home-page

#3 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 11:52 PM

Further, ad-blocker only works on ios 9 or newer :(

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#4 Julia_Nash

Julia_Nash

• Banned Spammer
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 11:25 AM

What iOS version do you have there?

Have you tried upgrading? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic