Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Icons

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 waxace

waxace

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:51 PM

I have a question that perhaps you folks can help me with.
My friend has Windows XP Home and all of a sudden after start-up he had no more desktop Icons. He did not install anything new or change anything.
I suggested a few things to him , but nothing that I suggested worked.
My first suggestioin was to use his Windows key with "d". Did not work.
I then suggested that he go to Kelley's Korner #72 Left to Enable desktop Icons.
I walked him through the .vbs script, confirmed that the script stated that "desktop icons are now enabled". Still nothing happened.
Can anyone out there suggest any other solutions??
P.S. We also tried a few restore points with no success....
Thanks in advance... :thumbsup:

Just The Tip of the Iceberg.......WAXACE

Intel Core 2 CPU 6700@2.66 GHz 2.67GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 Memory 4094 G
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

500G 7200RPM Internal  1T 7200RPM External

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:55 PM

I assume that you tried the obvious? Right-click on the desktop and highlight "arrange icons by" and click "show desktop icons."

#3 waxace

waxace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:22 PM

He gets no response from right click on desktop.
Cannot get to properties....
Not even from Control Panel...

Just The Tip of the Iceberg.......WAXACE

Intel Core 2 CPU 6700@2.66 GHz 2.67GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 Memory 4094 G
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

500G 7200RPM Internal  1T 7200RPM External

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:09 PM

This sounds like an infection. I've seen it happen before. I usually start with things that will work. For instance, if Spybot Search and Destroy doesn't work, download the free trial of Ewido Security Suite. Try running Trend Micro House Call. Use Internet Explorer for House Call rather than Firefox or another browser. Are you running an antivirus program and spyware protections?

In the meantime, if he has the XP disk, try putting it in the drive. Hold down the shift key for a minute while inserting it in the drive so that it doesn't start up. Then go to Start -> Run and type

cmd

. . . and hit enter. Then, in the Dos Emulator that appears, type:

sfc /scannow

. . . and make sure there's a space before the slash. Hit enter and it should scan for corrupted files. If found to be missing, it may replace them from the XP disk or a folder on the hard drive. But I've run into systems like that which had several things disabled and system file checker didn't do anything.

Usual rules apply: don't run more than one antivirus or firewall; do run more than one spyware program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users