Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What material is ok for enclosing router/modem (lockbox)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 onenil

onenil

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 09:05 PM

I'd like to lock my router and modem in a box to avoid a hard reset using the button and keep the parental controls configured. I'm looking around, and most of the ones designed for this purpose are made of a thick clear plastic, although I've seen some diy ones that suggest using wood. I'm assuming that one made of metal would impede the signal, so something like this (with different size, etc.) would be out: https://www.amazon.com/STEELMASTER-Push-Button-Security-2216197G2/dp/B0067Y5PLC/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1469323941&sr=8-15&keywords=plastic+lockbox. Could someone confirm that metal is out? And/or suggest other materials that might be okay to use? I've thought about putting it in an IKEA cabinet that is made of wood and locks, but really don't want to lessen the signal.

Above all, it must be inexpensive, so I'm looking at things like this (prob different size): http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200377214_200377214?cm_mmc=Bing-pla&utm_source=Bing_PLA&utm_medium=Storage%20%2B%20Organizers%20%3E%20Tool%20Boxes%20%2B%20Chests&utm_campaign=JTT%20LLC&utm_content=651039 and drilling holes in it where needed.

Would that impact the wifi strength? Most I've seen designed for this purpose (in addition to being extremely expensive) are of a clear plastic. Or else a large plastic toolbox/tackle box?

Alternatively (and a little off topic, sorry) if anyone knows (and I will post on DD-WRT/Tomato/Merlin), does the disable button command work for the ASUS AC RT56U? DD-WRT really has nothing about this model; everything is about the 66. Weird.

Thanks!

I don't know if you need these specs or not but:

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265
Description: Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265
Class Guid: {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

Windows 10 Home x64

Distance: approximately 10 feet (although will move significantly if I do this)

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 03:04 PM

Locking a wireless and heat producing electronic in a metal (or any)box is generally a bad idea. Wouldn't it be easier to lock the room the router is in? 

Edited by Trikein, 24 July 2016 - 03:07 PM.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 11:44 AM

To expand on Trikein is this a problem you are already experiencing?  Is someone already resetting the router and you need to secure it?  If not, I'd wait until it is an issue rather than reducing the wireless signal and possibly shortening the life of the router by increasing the operating temperature.

Option 2 would be to ceiling mount the router and make the reset button difficult to access.  Since most router mounts are slide on I'd put a screw in front or behind that would need to be removed to pull the router.

A proper solution would be a wall mounted server style rack, but that will exceed your cost restrictions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users