Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dsrfix Not Working?!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:50 PM

Hey, you might remember me from a previous thread regarding trying to reinstall XP on my girlfriend's old Dell. Thanks for all the info and help you guys imparted. I've been trying to use DSRFIX as I believe I should restore it to factory settings anyway, which would be best and quickest.

The problem is, the DSRFIX doesn't appear to be working. The real trouble is the fact that the Dell doesn't have a floppy drive, which makes it harder for me. All we have are CD burners. Now, I did download an ISO of the win98 bootdisk and burn it to a CD, but even THAT didn't seem to do anything.

Anybody have any suggestions? She really wants to sell it on eBay, like now. I'd hate to sell it to somebody and have that screen pop up asking them which OS to start from. Even though it works fine that way, I doubt it would go over well with the buyer. I just want to fix the sucker and reinstall it to factory specs.

Thanks,
Venek
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:58 AM

Now, I did download an ISO of the win98 bootdisk and burn it to a CD, but even THAT didn't seem to do anything.

What does that mean exactly? Do you mean the computer doesn't boot to the CD when you restart the computer?

If so, you might need to change the boot order in the BIOS. Some DELLs will give you an option when you first start up the computer to press an F button to change the start order. I think it is F12, but I am not sure. Look closely at the screen when it starts up to find this instruction.

Or you may have to actually enter the BIOS and change the start order. Usually this is done by pressing the DEL or F1 or F2 button at startup. Then you have to look for the booting order and change it so that the CD is above the Hard drive. Then at startup the computer will seach for a CD to boot from, and if it finds one it will boot from it. If it doesn't find one it will simply boot from the hard drive like normal.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:40 AM

Actually, neglected to mention that I DID change the boot order on the setup screen at startup. That did what it was supposed to do, but nothing happened except a brief pause.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users