Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aptitude Repository...

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:52 PM

Okay so I don't know if it's just my version of the Ubuntu 9.04 Live CD or all versions of the CD, but when I boot from the CD (to remove the OS with OS uninstaller), I can't add the boot-repair repository to install it.

I type "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair" and I get this error "Command not found". The reason I want to remove ubuntu is so I can install Windows XP and the disk refuses to boot into setup with the way the partition table is now; it hangs for a bit after I press a key to boot from the CD before throwing up a BSOD relating to a hard disk issue. So I assume that the GRUB bootloader is screwing with the Windows setup process.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 A Future Pilot

A Future Pilot

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:31 PM

Hmm...I'm not sure why the partition table would cause a BSOD on the XP install disk...

If that is actually the problem (which I'm not entirely convinced of), you should be able to format the disk using gparted from the live cd (NOTE: This will erase all the data on the disk). To do so, go to System >> Administration >> Partition Editor. Then in the top right corner, make sure you select /dev/sda (not /dev/sdb). Then select any partitions in the bottom window and hit delete. Then select the empty space and hit new. Make a single partition that fills the entire disk and format it as NTFS. Then apply the changes, reboot and try the XP cd again.

Out of curiosity, why are you using 9.04 and XP? Those are both old operating systems.

#3 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:41 PM

What does your /etc/apt/sources.list  look like?

if you do NOT see:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/yannubuntu/boot-repair/ubuntu saucy main

in your /etc/apt/sources.list then add it and then:

sudo apt-get update

also make sure it has internet :P

EDIT: This specific issue occurs when you live boot and try to do add the ppa before being connected to the internet.

Simply connect to the internet first and then try to add the ppa again just like before.

Edited by Viper_Security, 23 July 2016 - 08:48 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#4 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:42 PM

Hmm...I'm not sure why the partition table would cause a BSOD on the XP install disk...

If that is actually the problem (which I'm not entirely convinced of), you should be able to format the disk using gparted from the live cd (NOTE: This will erase all the data on the disk). To do so, go to System >> Administration >> Partition Editor. Then in the top right corner, make sure you select /dev/sda (not /dev/sdb). Then select any partitions in the bottom window and hit delete. Then select the empty space and hit new. Make a single partition that fills the entire disk and format it as NTFS. Then apply the changes, reboot and try the XP cd again.

Out of curiosity, why are you using 9.04 and XP? Those are both old operating systems.

I am also curious, older system?

hQBT2G3.png

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,837 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:47 PM

I don't know if it's just my version of the Ubuntu 9.04

Support finished for 9.04 in 2010, Is there a reason you are not using a new distro?

#6 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 09:07 PM

o_O wow that was quick... okay so in order...

I'm sure it's the partition table because out of curiosity I tried installing it in Virtual Box and it installed without issue (though I don't know how to set up wireless internet on XP but that's a different issue for another subforum. I can get to MSN but most other sites don't work (youtube for example. But again not for here)) and I read somewhere that the MBR for Ubuntu interferes with Windows cause it doesn't play nice with other OSes.

As for why I'm using 9.04... I embarrassingly can't find the USB stick with Ubuntu 14 live on it >< and I'm using XP because I can't stand Vista (though it would probably be easier since it should automatically set up my laptop's wireless adapter) and my laptop won't run 7/8/10 that well (it's 2GB of RAM with a Celeron processor. CQ60 is the model).

And yes, I'm making sure that my internet is connected before I run the terminal from the Live CD; I'm not a complete idiot :P (not said with any ill meaning, just joking :3) I think that's all points addressed... If I missed anything, let me know kay? I'll try the suggested method for getting XP to install when I'm sure of how I'm actually going to get connected to the internet after it's installed. I don't want to be stuck without an OS (9.04 can't be upgraded through the software update service for some reason; I tried before. I think it's due to support having ended for it)

#7 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 09:26 PM

could always use an Ethernet cable.

and Windows XP won't format the disk for you?

if not i suggest the same thing as A Future Pilot had said and use Gparted to format to ntfs,(or fat 32 w/e is easiest)

hQBT2G3.png

#8 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 09:44 PM

could always use an Ethernet cable.

It'll be hard to wire an Ethernet cable down here from upstairs... I'm in the basement.

and Windows XP won't format the disk for you?

if not i suggest the same thing as A Future Pilot had said and use Gparted to format to ntfs,(or fat 32 w/e is easiest)

It won't even load into setup. It hangs after I press a key to boot from CD then after about a minute or so it blue screens with the hard disk error. I'll have to do some testing in virtual box to see if it's the GRUB bootloader or not though. But if it isn't, then I don't know what could be causing the issue. It installed fine on an empty virtual hard disk though, so it probably is the way the partition table is set up. I'll install ubuntu on a virtual machine and see if I can't replicate the problem on that end.

#9 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:52 PM

Update: Okay so after testing, I got a virtualized version of Windows XP to at least enter the DOS-esque portion of the setup. Up until it had to format the disks... No blue screen this time (at least no BSOD), but it said something similar: that there weren't any hard disks in the system. I tried to then launch into the live CD to run gparted so I could format my disks as A Future Pilot had suggested, but I keep getting I/O errors on device sr0 where it fails to read the disk. Not sure why I'm having this issue with virtualbox and not the actual hardware...

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,342 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:53 PM

That distribution is way too old you may want to actually invest in buying a CD or something like that and go for a low spec distribution such as Linux Lite

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#11 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:59 PM

Yeah, you're probably right. Though the current distro I'm using in my laptop (14, I believe) has the same issue as 9.04 when I try to run the XP setup, so it's not the installed distro's fault. Well okay not the exact issue; the system BSOD's on the actual hardware but just tells me there's no hard disk in virtualbox but you know what I mean.

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,336 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 11:12 PM

This might not be of help, but if it were me, I would not get rid of Vista and Linux in favor of XP? but hope you get this figured out.  

Without knowing exactly which processor you have, it's hard to say if Ubuntu was a good choice, maybe something a little faster/lighter for your hardware.  

Maybe if that DVD was current it would work?  That's all I got sorry.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,837 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 11:19 PM

If you are trying to install XP , The XP installer should handle all that, Normally you just boot the PC from install media EG DVD/CD or usb and follow the prompts, Windows will happily do it all for you.

#14 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 11:48 PM

Yeah, I think I'll just keep Ubuntu for now. It's the only OS on the system as of right now; I stupidly decided to wipe Vista from the hard disk some time ago when I was in a "I want a linux computer" phase. I was going to put XP back on because I didn't want to spend all the way until Christmas without a Windows machine - my desktop's motherboard is fried; the computer keeps powering on without me pressing the power button everytime I plug in the PSU. Read one of my other topics for details (Search "power supply" in internal hardware if you really want to read it). And I won't be able to get a new mobo until Christmas because of the way disability works; I can't save up any money of it, and all of it goes towards room and board at my parents' anyway - but if it's going to be a hassle just to reinstall it when Ubuntu works just fine (even if I can't play games on it or use Slimcat even with WINE) I'll just soldier on.

And yes, I know the installer would take care of things, but the problem is it won't run with the way the partition table is set up. It crashes each time it tries to. I'll just deal with Ubuntu until I can get my desktop up and running again.

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,837 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 12:06 AM

I know the installer would take care of things, but the problem is it won't run with the way the partition table is set up.

I cant see why the Windows installer won't run regardless of how the hard drive is partitioned, 

The Windows installer has a partitioning tool thats easy to follow.

If your install is failing before you see the option of where to install windows, then its a case of bad install media.

124152337_d75f22de5c_o.jpg

Edited by NickAu, 24 July 2016 - 12:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users