Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor driver problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Quintonimor

Quintonimor

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 06:29 PM

I think I might have a monitor driver problem. But I'm still unsure. I plugged in my two monitors yesterday, and I booted up my computer. When I booted it up with both monitors plugged into my graphics card (this is how I usually have it set up), my monitors said that there was no connection. So I turned off my computer and booted jt up with only one monitor in my graphics card. The dvi cable actually did connect to my computer just fine. And I just plugged in my vga cable after the computer had booted up, which also worked. I messed around on the computer for a couple hours, and it froze a couple times with an error message about my monitor drivers needing updated. But it unfreezed, and I decided I would update them in the morning. In the morning, I booted up my computer and it wouldn't connect to the monitors again. I tried booting it up with only one monitor to no avail. Then, I did the same with my other monitor, also to no avail. I tried plugging the vga cable straight into my motherboard (as apposed to through my graphics card), and this, again, was to no avail. I'm not really sure what to do at this point. I tid just turning the entire computer off and on again. I made sure that all the cables are well in their sockets. If this really is a driver issue, I don't really know how I would go about updating the drivers without a working monitor. Does this sound like a driver issue? And if so, what can I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 09:43 PM

Sounds more like a graphics card or other hardware (such as maybe the motherboard) issue.  Generally, monitor drivers/software are not really needed unless there are functions on the monitor that specifically require it.  Such functions are typically things like color, contrast, etc settings that are done through software rather than physical buttons on the monitor.  FWIW, I have never install a monitor driver on a Windows computer.

#3 Quintonimor

Quintonimor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:01 PM

Okay. Well, for some reason my computer just started connecting to my monitor again. And that was working great for about a week. But now it's doing the same wierd thing again. I've just been turning it off and on again because that's what worked last time. I was looking into buying a new motherboard/processor. But I was doing that through my computer.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 09:44 PM

Can you tell us about your hardware? Is this custom build or store bought? If custom, what model motherboard and GPU? If store, what model computer? Also, what OS? Finally, do you know what GPU driver you are using now? Windows Key + R > devmgmt.msc > double click display adapter > double click your GPU > Driver tab > Driver Version. Or for more info, Windows Key + R > dxdiag > "Save all information" button and save to desktop. Open and copy paste anything related to video. Here is example:

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users