Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Tell If A Flash Drive Is Truly Dead

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 03:31 PM

Hello and thanks in advance for any help :) .  I've an ADATA S102/64GB USB3.0 that from one moment to the next went from functioning properly to needing-formatting-but-the-formatting-can't-be-completed.  Using various tools (Windows 7 64bit Home Premium) the drive either doesn't populate in My Computer or shows as unallocated or raw; attacking with Disk Management, DiskPart, or numerous third-party partition managers hasn't worked; using a friend's Mac didn't solve anything; and GParted from several different Linux distributions all failed to format the drive.  My question:  is there any way to actually learn whether or not the flash drive can be saved?  That is, is there a utility (preferably freeware ;) ) that can diagnose the problem to the extent of "It's Dead" or "Do This"?  It seems to me that there's no physical issue with the drive since the stem is intact and it receives power from the USB port; and yet, nothing I've tried has solved the problem or even given me an idea of what the problem is.  I'm far from expert, but a dozen hours of effort has left me scratching my head and I'd really be pleased to be able to at least toss the drive in the trash knowing for certain that it's not fixable.  Thanks again for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 03:51 PM

Hi,

Depending on the chip used there are tools specific to format the drive and make it work again if not damaged or is fake!

Download USBDeview http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html that matches your OS (32 or 64-bits), run the tool with the flash drive connected and post the VendorID and ProductID

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:30 AM

Thanks for your help, SleepyDude, I'm very appreciative.  As requested:

VendorID:  125f

ProductID:  312b

Edited by LouieChuckyMerry, 24 July 2016 - 06:03 PM.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 09:14 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your help, SleepyDude, I've very appreciative.  As requested:

VendorID:  125f

ProductID:  312b

The ProductID doesn't match the information I have found so I need more details...

Please download https://www.antspec.com/usbflashinfo/f/usbflashinfo.zip run the tool with only the flash drive connected paste the generate report into your post.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 06:04 PM

Here's the report:

Volume: None
Controller: Silicon Motion SM3261 AB
Possible Memory Chip(s): 
  Intel 29F64B08OCME1
Memory Type: MLC
Flash ID: 89A825CB A9
Flash CE: 4
Flash Channels: Single
Chip F/W: ISP 130311-1AB
MP: M0318V2
MPTOOL Ver.: 2.05.16
VID: 125F
PID: 312B
Manufacturer: ADATA
Product: ADATA USB Flash Drive
Query Vendor ID: ADATA   
Query Product ID: USB Flash Drive 
Query Product Revision: 1100
Physical Disk Capacity: 63854084096 Bytes
Windows Disk Capacity:  0 Bytes
Internal Tags: 8V2R-T99J
USB Version: 3.00
Declared Power: 504 mA
ContMeas ID: 24B4-02-0F
Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 x64 Build 7601
------------------------------------
http://www.antspec.com/usbflashinfo/
Program Version: 8.5.0.592

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 07:45 PM

I can't say this will work for you but AData has there own repair utility for drives that cannot be formatted. I believe it reflashes the drives firmware. You need an internet connection to do the repair and it may not detect your drive. If under warranty I would contact customer service and RMA it.

http://www.adata.com/en/ss/usbdiy/#fragment-2

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:37 AM

LouieChuckyMerry try the tool suggest by JohnC, see if it works for you.

Finding the correct tool for the Controller could be difficult...

___
Rui

#8 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:07 AM

JohnC_21; SleepyDude:  Using the ADATA link worked, although I lost a GB+ (perhaps due to Dead Sectors?) when all was clicked and formatted.  Not a problem.  Thank you both very much for taking the time to teach an old dog some new tricks; I really do appreciate it :) .  Be well.

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:03 AM

JohnC_21; SleepyDude:  Using the ADATA link worked, although I lost a GB+ (perhaps due to Dead Sectors?) when all was clicked and formatted.  Not a problem.  Thank you both very much for taking the time to teach an old dog some new tricks; I really do appreciate it :) .  Be well.

Good not a complete lost. :)

Just to be safe I would test the flash drive using http://www.heise.de/download/product/h2testw-50539 (interface can be changed to EN)

With the flash empty of data let the program read and write files by filling completely all the space on the drive, if there is any problem it will fail the test.

Edited by SleepyDude, 25 July 2016 - 10:04 AM.

___
Rui

#10 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:23 PM

I tried H2testw earlier in my attempt to repair the flash drive, so I've a copy handy to run the test.  No errors reported, all seems well.  Thanks again for your help, SleepyDude :) .

#11 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:14 PM

Good. You are welcome.

___
Rui

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users