Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need an antivirus for my Android? Since when?!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 weltall

weltall

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 02:18 PM

Hello to everyone and I hope you are all having a good day.

I honestly lived up to today under the impression that android protections were superfluous. Most of them came with cleaning cache, ram and unnecessary apps, optimizing phone and in general in my humble opinion, a bunch of barely useful things, bundled of course with an extra battery drain.

Just today I read an article about how nowadays Antivirus solution are a must for androids, unlike how it used to be before years.

I just downloaded AVL pro and Avast and did a scan with them and found 0 problems with my tablet. I have it rooted and I have installed a handful of times apks which are not from the playstore, being older than the current version of apps or apps that do not exist in the market (Game Guardian for example).

The whole thing started after I got a Game Guardian apk and uploaded it in Virus Total, seeing it is supposedly infected by Android.Malware.SDi.4C00, which from a search turned out to be a malware called HummingBad. Curiously enough only a single engine found it, called BKav, which made me think it is a false positive. AVL and Avast on the android did not consider the apk a malware either. I installed BKav on my android and not only it asked for probably every single access it could for my phone, it wanted a phone verification.. what are they thinking. Makes me feel the BKav is actually the malware here.

Edited by weltall, 23 July 2016 - 02:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DigvijaySingh

DigvijaySingh

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:53 PM

i have never used a antivirus for my phone...you can simply use app cleaner apps to boost and clean your phone..it is more than sufficient.

#3 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:21 AM

Let's dispel two myths.

Android is not secure.  There is no such thing as a secure operating system, only more and less secure ones.

Google Play DOES host malware-infected programs.  You can also get malware from adding apps/extensions/plug-ins from the official distribution site of the browser you use.  They just don't (I hope) do it on purpose.

I'm sorry but it is irresponsible of a computer programmer to tell the average user that they are safe.  Anyone, and I mean ANYONE, programmer or otherwise, who tells you differently should be ignored.  Just because someone hasn't noticed any malware on their antimalware-free system doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  Lots of malware is designed these days to remain virtually undetectable.

I haven't done any programming in 20 years or so, but 4 years ago I predicted in a private discussion with another user on BC that the CIA, NSA and other agencies were spying on us, and doing it in a big way.  The other user, who was a Microsoft MVP, and respected member here, categorically denied that such computing power existed.  It was only a matter of time before the truth came out in the media.

I also predicted the fall of the USSR a few years beforehand, so if you need a prediction, I'm your man. ;)

Since I recently got an Android, I'm looking for what's considered the best free antimalware program.  I'm using Avast in the meantime.

(Yes, this is a duplicate of my post on a similar thread - I was too lazy to rewrite it. ;) )

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:02 PM

Post by our very own quietman7 in the Antivirus, Antimalware, And Antispyware Resources thread. This quote is on page 8.

We try to keep the first page updated as much as possible. As far as recommendations for AV/AM for Android...

Anti-virus solutions for your tablet computers

I don't use Android, Smart Phones, Tablets, iPads, third party apps, etc...but here is a quote from my Colleague Didier Stevens, Microsoft MVP Consumer Security.

Several smartphone operating systems (OS) offer no API's at all for AV applications to be able to perform.

In iOS (that's the OS of the iPhone), an AV app is like any other app, it has no special privileges or access so that it can monitor the phone resources for malware.

So there can not be any good anti-virus programs for the iPhone, because the OS does not provide the features required for an AV program to be able to do a good job.

With that said, here is some reading material I have collected on the subject:Bottom line: You really don't need an anti-virus on a smart phone.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:07 AM

Hey Animal, it's been a long time.  We just got back from the hospital and are leaving again on Monday to go to an out-of-town hospital.

It seems like Didier speaks exclusively about Apple products, and not about Android.  Given the recent info on Android weaknesses, it seems AV/AM software are needed, so I guess I should look at those articles when I return.

If neither OS offers the ability to monitor, yet have flaws that allow malware in, it seems to me that we're leaving all our doors open and inviting the thieves in, too.  What do you think?

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 10:37 PM

Animal or Quietman7, I would add Sophos AV to the Android list. It's free and excellent.

Edited by tos226, 20 August 2016 - 10:38 PM.

#7 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:05 AM

FYI, the Tech Republic article no longer exists.

Several of these articles were written 3-4 years ago, so, IMHO, it makes them at least partially out-dated, especially in regards to some of the authors' perceptions of iOS, and were primarily written before the major revelations about malware threats to iOS and Android became food for thought.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#8 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 08:45 AM

Hi:

I run MBAM-Mobile and KIS-Mobile on my primary Android phone, and I run MBAM-Mobile and Emsisoft-Mobile on my older, backup, Android phone*.

No issues.

MM

(*Some sort of glitch a long while back prevented me from upgrading KIS on that device.  Since it is my backup device and I did not want to do a factory reset, I cut my losses and moved to a different security program.)

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,743 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 12:29 PM

I personally don't use an anti-virus or anti-malware app full time anymore. I stick to only installing known apps from Google Play or trusted source apk's. I have a full weekly back up if I need to nuke and pave. You need to decide for yourself what method works for you.

My philosophy is very much like the one at the end of this article: https://www.androidpit.com/is-antivirus-software-necessary-for-android

Under the heading of "So what does this all mean?"

I occasionally install a tool just to run a scan now and then. (Thusfar have had zero issues in 8 years(knock on wood))

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#10 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:24 AM

Thanks Moxie and Animal!  Sorry for not answering sooner, we had to go to a hospital for a couple of days again.

Moxie, between the three which do you feel works best?

Animal, I get what you mean.  If there is no root/admin access, is there any other way for malware to burrow down to hide?

A few weeks ago, my kids and wife went on a spree, adding programs from somewhere.  They managed to add some sort of malware that behaved like fake AM software.  She ran a scan that either killed it or caused it to hide...

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#11 rp-57

rp-57

• Members
  • 469 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:55 PM

i have never used a antivirus for my phone...you can simply use app cleaner apps to boost and clean your phone..it is more than sufficient.

So what app would you suggest?

I use Ccleaner that seems good.

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,743 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 11:58 AM

I use SD Maid for my system maintenance needs.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#13 rp-57

rp-57

• Members
  • 469 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:39 PM

Sorry took me so long to reply, you mention SD MAID, Sounds like a good choice, I will check it out.

Thankyou.

#14 isaccasi

isaccasi

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 12:08 PM

Hello i have a lifetime license on dr.web security and amc paid version and malwarebytes. :bounce:

#15 fullrevi

fullrevi

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:36 AM

You can make any antivirus , But don't use Ccleaner This Bad programming and make low phone .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users