Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound for Windows 7 Optiplex Machine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rafjr64

rafjr64

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 02:17 PM

Trying to get sound going for a machine my mother recently purchased. Could really use some help.

Dell OptiPlex 5040 Small form factor

Windows 7 Pro

Computer has only one green sound jack on the back.

Her sound system has two cords that need to be plugged in; 1 green and 1 black. It's a Dell Harman Kardon Sub and two l/r speakers.

My guess is that this machine does not support a sub and l/r sound set-up. Correct?

Is there a Y adapter that can join the two speaker wires into one...to make the sound work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 09:40 PM

Just to make sure I am not missing anything...

Sound does not work with just the green connector, correct?

Technically, the black is typically for rear speakers, while typically orange is for the subwoofer and center channel speaker.  But, then those color schemes are not 100% followed. 

Are the speaker Harman Kardon HK695 speakers that look like this:

P913930.jpg

If so, then you should only need to use the green connector if you only have a stereo sound card, which seems to be the case.  The black connector is used if you have a multi-channel sound card as those speakers have a simulated surround sound feature (i.e. rear channel type effect even though it does not have actual rear channel speakers).

Here is the user guide from Dell for those speakers:

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/279093/Harman-Kardon-Hk695.html?page=6#manual

I have those speakers and checked that the green connector alone work just fine with a computer with just one sound output.

#3 rafjr64

rafjr64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 03:06 PM

Thank you for your reply. Yes. It's a Harman Kardon HK695. Tried the green only and still didn't work. Not sure what's going on. Device manager says all systems a-okay.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:02 PM

Is there a headphone jack on the front of the computer? If so, then you could try the speakers with that headphone jack.

Also, have you tried other speakers or maybe a pair of headphones with the speaker port on the back of the computer?

#5 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:21 PM

+1 for trying the front headphone jack. The back one is passive/line-out and probably doesn't match the impedance of your speaker system. Another words you need "moar power!". For exact instructions, follow those meant for "Notebook stereo sound" as seen here.

7040SFFFront.JPG

Edited by Trikein, 26 July 2016 - 10:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users