Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gypsyjanet

gypsyjanet

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 11:58 AM

Hey guys,

So this is what happened. Friday night as I was going to shut down my desktop pc, "install updates then shut down" so I did that.

The next morning, I turned on the monitor then the PC and it seemed to be booting up just fine. The monitor kept blinking through HDMI, DVI etc which it does sometimes, so I swapped the ends of the HDMI cord then physically reboot the PC. After that, it got stuck at the (bios?) screen (black screen, white text) as shown in the pc1 picture. A computer friend said I should enable "smart" at the bios settings. I physically reboot, made the change (pc2 picture), and physically reboot again. At that point, there was no response at all. I hit the power button and 100% absolutely nothing happens.

Not 100% comfortable opening the PC up, but if it would just be a simple fix, I could probably handle it. 

Not sure how to upload pics here, so I put them here:

http://janet141.tripod.com/pc1.jpg
http://janet141.tripod.com/pc2.jpg

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Janet

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 EastonLK

EastonLK

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:23 PM

Your BIOS seems to be trying to boot into a CD/DVD (your first boot device) rather than your hard drive. Can you remove the CD/DVD (if any) from your disk drive and try booting again?

Edited by EastonLK, 23 July 2016 - 10:24 PM.

#3 gypsyjanet

gypsyjanet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:41 PM

There is no disc in the drive. Pc will not turn on at all. When I press the power button, no lights no sound, 100% absolutely nothing

#4 EastonLK

EastonLK

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 11:00 PM

Is the computer plugged in and can other devices get power from the same outlet?

#5 gypsyjanet

gypsyjanet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:14 AM

Lol yes

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:40 AM

If you get absolutely nothing when you press the power button, then power isn't getting into the system.

So, the first thing to try is another Power Supply.

If you don't have one, you may want to try purchasing one from a place that will allow you to return it (for a refund) if it's not needed.

But, if you're getting things that suggest the system is getting power (such as lights flashing, spinning sounds, etc), then it's best to try other avenues.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users