Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best time of year to buy a laptop?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stillanovice

stillanovice

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:04 AM

Hello,

I'm planning to purchase a new laptop, but I'm not sure if there's a particular time of year that's better for buying over another?

Thoughts?  Opinions?  

Thanks very much!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:41 AM

New laptop are good and powerful too. In my opinion you should buy a laptop which realeased in 2015/16. Mainly a laptop with high specs is better.
To achieve something first try
to get the knowledge about it.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 11:23 AM

I don't think it matters all that much, but yes a little.  The market seems to be pretty good right now.  If you sign up for email notifications from major outlets you will find a good deal in a week to a month IMO.

The most important thing is knowing what you need, or what you want, and how much time you have to find it.  If you have time start researching, asking more questions here, and slowly figure out what you need.  I also suggest to try it out if possible, if I see one I like...I would go to the local store and see if they have one I can look at and get a feel for.  This is not always a great representation of the pc for various reasons, mostly the state of the Internet speeds of the store in question IMO.

Here is a little quote from this website, which is a decent resource.

"The major PC manufacturers release new laptops at three times of year: back-to-school season (June to August), holiday season (September to December) and spring (February to April). New models usually ship at the beginning or middle of these windows. However, the best deals tend to appear in July/August and November/December, which are the heart of the school and holiday shopping seasons."

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/when-to-buy-a-laptop

As you can see, it might be a good time now to purchase a new laptop.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 stillanovice

stillanovice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:11 AM

PCpunk - - thank you so much!  Makes sense to me ... I was hoping I wouldn't have to wait until black friday for the best deal :)  Been doing my research for a few weeks already, so feeling confident.  

I appreciate your help!

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:46 AM

Your location is listed as Maine. When does school start back where you are? A few before that, you should see back to school sales.

The thing is that each week different systems will be on sale. You might see one this week and buy it, then next week you might see one that you wish had been on sale the week before because it is lower cost or is the brand you really wanted or whatever else.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:27 AM

FWIW:  I am of the theory...that the time to buy OEM computers is not before or after the initial release...but months later, when the specified models/products have been replaced by something "newer", if not better.  Products are constantly being released by OEMs throughout the year...the cycles mentioned by pcpunk reflect a seller's point of view of the market, not necessarily a good indicator of the time to buy anything (sellers are interested in maximizing sales, not quality).

This would also give any buyer plenty of time to get past all the promises and hype...and actually be able to note user feedback on said products.

Considering that the goal is to obtain a system which you feel is great enough to hang onto for some time...my approach might be the best.

OTOH...if you routinely replace a system just because the cash is readily available...my premises would not serve you well.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 July 2016 - 09:29 AM.

#7 stillanovice

stillanovice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:47 AM

All good thoughts and ideas, and I appreciate all the input I can get!

Thanks guys!!

#8 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 441 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:16 AM

@stillanovice

Many states offer a Tax Free Weekend. Maine unfortunately does not.
In my state Tennessee, you can save on computer purchases up to $1500.00.
This can offer additional savings considering the purchase of computer equipment.
To find states offering Tax Free Weekends Click Here... http://www.taxadmin.org/sales-tax-holidays

Old Rocker

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 25 July 2016 - 11:06 AM

We have a back to school sales tax holiday.
In Alabama, computers and laptops $750 or less will be exempt from sales taxes.
A few years ago I bought my first laptop during the exemption weekend. It was way less than $750.

I did look for Maine before I made my first reply and found that Maine does not participate in sales tax holiday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users