Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange problems after Win 7 -> Win 10 upgrade (clean install)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lonewolfer

lonewolfer

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:53 AM

Hi,

I decided yesterday that with the free upgrade deadline approaching I would upgrade to Windows 10 Professional from Windows 7 Professional.  I created some installation media first using the Microsoft tool, then did the upgrade to register my computer.  Then I did a complete clean install using the installation media.

My problems began soon after I did the clean install.  I was allowing it to download some updates from Microsoft, when the system seemed to crawl to a halt, like I moved the mouse then the pointed followed it slowly across the screen about 5 seconds behind.  I couldn't click the start button nor did Ctrl-Alt-Del work so I was forced to hit the reset button on the chassis.

When I rebooted, it wouldn't load Windows, with an error message 'Bootmgr missing' or similar.  My USB stick installation media was still first in the boot priority so I inserted it and re-tried but the same thing again.  I thought this odd, then realised that it appeared that no USB devices were working.  The LEDs on my keyboard and the optical mouse light were all dead, as was the LED on the switch on my USB microphone.  Also the USB installation media stick has an LED which was not lit too.  I did a CMOS reset and it booted ok into WIndows again.

About 10 minutes later a similar freeze occurred.  This time I was guessing that I had a corrupted Windows 10 installation so I did another fresh installation.  It was ok for several hours into today, the after I played a game for a while it crashed again, I could see the mouse cursor moving normally this time but the system was otherwise unresponsive.

I reset again using the switch but I got the same  'Bootmgr missing' error as before.  I could get into the BIOS and saw that in my choice of boot devices, my SSD was not even visible.  Also of note, during the POST the system seemed to be stalling a long time on the A2 code which I believe is relevant to SATA storage devices on my motherboard.

I have cleared the CMOS again and changed the SSD to a different SATA port on the motherboard and it had been good for an hour or so but obviously I'm not happy yet that it is resolved.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Edited by lonewolfer, 23 July 2016 - 08:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 02:51 PM

Make sure the first boot device is the HDD where Windows installed also install all windows 10 drivers for the components connected to your motherboard from there manufacturer website.

Posted Image

#3 lonewolfer

lonewolfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 06:48 AM

Hi thanks for reply.

I can confirm that my SSD is the first in boot order.

I have updated all drivers for motherboard using MSI live update utility, however I don't think it recognised Intel Rapid Storage driver as needed.  I checked and I had the generic Windows driver installed, dated 2006.  I have downloaded this driver directly from MSI to year 2015 version.  I have also updated firmware for SSD too.  There was also a strange issue where Windows archive extractor only detected 3 files in the rapid storage driver archive, and it froze again on restart.  However 7-zip detected 6 files and after a driver reinstall using 7-zip to extract, it was ok.

Would a driver issue still cause problems in BIOS though, needing a CMOS reset?  I've been building computers for nearly 20 years but my last build before this current one (in 2015) was 2007 and I'm not up to date with UEFI etc.

Edited by lonewolfer, 24 July 2016 - 06:51 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:35 AM

W8/10 communicates with the BIOS/UEFI far more than W7 and earlier OS's

So much so that we now routinely update the BIOS/UEFI in W8/10 systems (at work)

Also, older BIOS/UEFI are a common cause of incompatibilities with these later systems - so keeping them updated is crucial (and if they don't have updates, it's a cause to suspect them).

Have you checked Device Manager for problem devices?

Have you installed ALL available, W10 compatible drivers from the MSI website (not the Live Update utility)?

Ensure that you download and install ALL that are available.
Also note any that aren't compatible w/W10 - as problems with them being missing can cause issues.  I'm thinking about things like the Intel MEI/RST/DPTF/etc.  Intel SmartConnect isn't supported in W10, so turning it off in the BIOS (and uninstalling it from Control Panel...Programs and Features) is needed.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 lonewolfer

lonewolfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:10 AM

W8/10 communicates with the BIOS/UEFI far more than W7 and earlier OS's

So much so that we now routinely update the BIOS/UEFI in W8/10 systems (at work)

Also, older BIOS/UEFI are a common cause of incompatibilities with these later systems - so keeping them updated is crucial (and if they don't have updates, it's a cause to suspect them).

Have you checked Device Manager for problem devices?

Have you installed ALL available, W10 compatible drivers from the MSI website (not the Live Update utility)?

Ensure that you download and install ALL that are available.
Also note any that aren't compatible w/W10 - as problems with them being missing can cause issues.  I'm thinking about things like the Intel MEI/RST/DPTF/etc.  Intel SmartConnect isn't supported in W10, so turning it off in the BIOS (and uninstalling it from Control Panel...Programs and Features) is needed.

I can confirm that device manager shows no problems.

All drivers have been downloaded and updated from MSU website.

SmartConnect was already disabled.

I've had no problems in several days now so I'm hoping I somehow fixed it, but would still like to know what the problem actually was :)

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:23 AM

Well hard to say what cause the issue without knowing what you might have done to resolve the issue but most common one is HDD where windows installed was not first boot device.

Posted Image

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:13 PM

Let me talk a bit about my way of troubleshooting problems.

First off, the best way to troubleshoot (IMO) is to identify the problems and try to fix them one-by-one, testing them thoroughly before moving on to the next one.

Unfortunately, this takes a lot of time.

Also, if testing doesn't produce results, how long should you test for?

Finally, it's my opinion that the person with the problem wants their system fixed as quickly as possible.

As such, I attempt to identify all significant problems when analyzing log files.

Then I suggest fixes for all of the problems that I've spotted.

If all works well, then the problem is fixed.

Unfortunately, we won't know what the actual fix was - but that's secondary (IMO) to getting the problem fixed quickly.

If the problem isn't fixed on the first try, then we go back and look for more problems and try to fix them.

As we proceed through this, we find patterns and signs that recur again and again.

This is where experience comes in. For example, the recent issues blaming mwac.sys (MalwareBytes) were solved by repeated analysis of BSOD's that also showed BitDefender.  And a fix for BitDefender has stopped this problem.

But, in short, there's only so much that you can do before reverting to the basics.

A fresh clean install of Windows.  This rules out 3rd party stuff (because you haven't reinstalled it yet).  It rules in/out hardware - because if the Windows install is good, then all that's left is hardware.

There are caveats here - things like using 3rd party drivers if no Windows drivers are available, installing security software (but this is lessened by installing Microsoft security software temporarily (while testing)), ensuring that Windows is fully updates, ensuring that the BIOS/UEFI is fully updated (I do this on W8 and later, and leave it alone on W7 and earlier).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users