Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SD card reader not responsive anymore

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JMF11

JMF11

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:28 AM

Hello,

My SD card reader does not work properly anymore. It was working previously. It is the SD card reader from my Coolermaser silencio 352 (I/O panel). I'm under Windows 10 64 bits (with all updates).

When I plug the SDard in the reader, I see the task bar blinking : the computer sees something. But no disk appears. Under a Linux virtual machine, the SD card reader works. => it is not an hardware problem.

I tried the SD card on another computer, and it works properly.

I updated the BIOS and the MB drivers, and I still have the problem.

I deleted the "Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB" and rebooted, and it didn't improved.

I did not found dedicated river on the coolermaster web site for the Silecio 352.

I don't any SD card reader device in the device list...

Help would be warmly welcomed.

Best regards,

JMF

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:55 AM

I have a IconMan_R service which is Realtek Card Reader Patch Tool when this service disabled Windows does not recognize connected SD card so check and see if there is any service associated with your SD card reader device and check you computer manufacturer website to see if there is a driver for SD card reader for your computer.

Posted Image

#3 JMF11

JMF11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:18 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the help. I checked the website of the manufacturer and there is no information nor driver available. I opened the case. The SDcad reader connects to the MotherBoard in the same connector as an USB 2.0 plug. The USB plub works.

I tried to plug and unplug this connector, with no success.

I displayed in the device manager the hidden devices. I spotted an idden SD card device. I deleted it, rebooted, with no improvement...

This is frustrating as the card reader works on the same physical machine, with a virtual machine with Linux !

I don't know how to check for services related to the SD card reader.

JMF

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 02:25 PM

Delete Left Over and Hidden Device Drivers

Device Manager displays only non-Plug and Play devices, drivers, and printers when you click Show hidden devices on the View menu. Devices that you install that are not connected to the computer (such as a Universal Serial Bus [USB] device or "ghosted" devices) are not displayed in Device Manager, even when you click Show hidden devices.

To work around this behavior and display devices when you click Show hidden devices:

1. Click Start Menu --> All Programs --> Accessories, and then right click Command Prompt and select "Run as Administrator".
2. At a Command Prompt, type the following command , and then press ENTER:
set devmgr_show_presentment_devices=1
3. Type the following command a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
start devmgmt.msc
4. Click Show hidden devices on the View menu in Device Manager before you can see devices that are not connected to the computer.

5. Expand Keyboards right click each SD Card device drivers and select Uninstall from context menu if there is a check box for deleting the driver from Driver Store place a check mark on check box.

6.  When you finish restart your computer.

Note that when you close the command prompt window, Window clears the devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 variable that you set in step 2 and prevents ghosted devices from being displayed when you click Show hidden devices.

Edited by FreeBooter, 23 July 2016 - 02:28 PM.

Posted Image

#5 JMF11

JMF11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 01:33 PM

hello Freebooter,

Thank you for the process to implement. I followed the instructions, bu no SD card reader deviced appeared (hidden or not).

It seems that it is not a straight forward issue...

Thank you for all the help provided.

Best regards,

JMF

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:48 PM

Disconnect and reconnect SD card reader from motherboard and restart your computer to see Windows will recognize SD card reader.

Posted Image

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:27 AM

My apologies for adding my 2¢ here, but this one piques (?sp) my interest :0)

If the device requires no device drivers to be installed - try it on another computer and see if it works there.

If it doesn't, then it's a problem with the reader and how it functions in Windows.

(FYI - although it may not require drivers to be installed, each device does need drivers - so it's likely that this device uses drivers provided in Windows).

In the past, hardware problems were either there or not.

But now, with the sophistication of the driver developers and the increasingly sophisticated manufacturing processes, it's possible for individual drivers/components to experience hardware/compatibility problems even though most of the device is still functional.

This is a developing theory of my mine - and is by no means meant to specifically address your situation.

I've seen this sort of thing with video cards since the release of W10, and would not be surprised if it has spread to other devices.

Regardless, trying the device on another Windows system seems to be a good test at this point.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 JMF11

JMF11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:38 PM

Hi,

@freebooter: I already tried the proposed test, with no success

@usasma: Thank you for the proposal. The proposed test will be difficult to implement for me, because it is related to the I/O panel of the PC case. the USB and SDcard reader share the same connector, that connects directly to the Motherboard. So testing means changing the MB in the case. I won't go up to that point.

Thanks you for all the help provided; time spent and relevant proposals. I learned things about the hidden drivers. This issue is annoying as the SD card reader is convenient to unload the camera pictures, but it is not critical. I will leave with that...

All the best,

JMF

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:41 AM

Sorry for not noticing that you couldn't test using my proposal.  I have vision problems and sometimes miss things :(

Maybe try an external (USB) card reader?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:49 AM

I think its SD card reader that is not working as advice by Usasma try external card reader.

Edited by FreeBooter, 27 July 2016 - 08:50 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users