Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading to SSD

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Richardf77

Richardf77

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 05:23 AM

Been considering this for some time as a way of extending the life of my Packard Bell iMedia desktop PC (2010 vintage). As far as i can tell the processor motherboard and RAM are still good but i feel the HDD is holding it back in terms of performance.

I need som advice as to a) the best sort of (affordable) SSD to go for and B) how to go about transferring windows etc to a new drive. I propose to keep the old HDD for storage (and as an OS backup in case things go wrong) so i dont need a big SSD.

My main concern is transfering windows. I have recently upgraded to 10 from 7 so do not have any installation media to do a clean install. I am guessing i would have to copy the current windows installation onto the new drive. I need some advice as to how best to do this (and still be valid and legal!).

Thanks.

PS Not really looking to spend much more than £50 on the SSD. I realise i wont get that much storage for this amount.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,340 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:04 AM

One SSD option there http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/RTvRsY/transcend-internal-hard-drive-ts128gssd370

You can transfer Windows by cloning it to SSD. There are many programs to do that.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:15 AM

If you decide to purchase Transcend as Drillingmachine suggested, and if the drive is supported, Transcend has software that will clone the drive for you.

http://www.transcend-info.com/Support/Software-10/

Edit: Because Windows 10 is now activated and your hardware ID in on Microsoft servers you can do a clean install using the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable disk or USB flash drive.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 July 2016 - 08:23 AM.

#4 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:32 AM

Thanks. Looked at this model on Amazon. Comes with 3.5" tray but no cables and no mention of cloning software. Reviews suggest read/write speeds not that high? Need decent speed or there isn't much advantage to upgrading.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:49 AM

Take a look at the Samsung SSDs. They are more expensive though.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,340 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:30 AM

Thanks. Looked at this model on Amazon. Comes with 3.5" tray but no cables and no mention of cloning software. Reviews suggest read/write speeds not that high? Need decent speed or there isn't much advantage to upgrading.

You can get cloning software for free and also if reinstall is not problem you can re-install Windows 10. Cheap price has some drawbacks. You had tight budget. You probably won't notice difference against "faster" drives. Some years ago there were memory tests. "Slow" memory modules were like 1% slower than "fast" memory modules. This is almost same. Even slowest SSD ever made is much faster than any HDD will ever be. Or something.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 11:00 AM

FWIW:  Possibly a better value:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CSSD-F240-GBLEB-Force-Solid/dp/B017UDPWRA/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1469289296&sr=1-1&keywords=corsair+ssd+240gb .

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-force-series-le-ssd,4558.html .

Louis

#8 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 11:15 AM

What about Toshiba Q300 drives? They look good.

Or maybe SanDisk?

Edited by Richardf77, 23 July 2016 - 11:38 AM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,542 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 11:27 AM

Toshiba...is one of the 3/4 remaining hard drive manufacturers.

Most SSDs are made by memory manufacturers.

You can buy any drive you like, for whatever reasons and chances are that you won't be unhappy with performance, IMO.  I haven't seen any/many SSDs put on any sort of "bad list" with any validity.

Louis

#10 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 11:45 AM

Thanks. Really want something reliable that isn't going to fail within a year or less. Speed perhaps isn't the biggest priority, just something I can rely on.

Now what other kit do I need?

Mounting bracket for a desktop PC.

Internal SATA cables?

USB to Sata cable for cloning?

Will it matter what I get or will a generic kit suffice?

Edited by Richardf77, 23 July 2016 - 11:46 AM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,542 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:10 PM

IMO...there's no need for a mounting bracket (I've used velcro to stabilize my drives before), see Here.

but I believe that  some drives come with mounting kits (brackets are $5 items).

To connect any additional drive to your system which has a SATA connection...you need a SATA cable.  I have some which came with drives I purchased, some I just bought.

Using a SSD, either as an additional or a replacement drive...is not very difficult at all.  It's not surgery.  Drive must be connected properly, cloning software used to clone old drive contents to new drive...nothing must occur which would not occur if you were replacing or adding a hard drive.

I don't use USB drives (other than flash drives), preferring to install internal drives...but someone else can fill you in on the aspects of such.

Louis

#12 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 04:14 PM

Mounting brackets aren't expensive, at least not in the UK, a though prices vary considerably. There's no real need to improvise with velcro IMO.

Isn't the best way to clone the drive by connecting it to the PC by USB like a portable hard drive? Or can it be done with the new drive in the machine?

#13 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 04:46 AM

This looks promising:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-2-5-inch-Upgrade-Adapter/dp/B00A7JFYXC/ref=sr_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1469348498&sr=1-6

Not sure now whether to clone or install a fresh copy of 10 on the SSD. Don't want all the data on my HDD on the SSD, just windows and some software. Could just copy the C partitionm but in addition to windows and software it also has my Cloud Drive folders (Google, One drive and Dropbox). Wouldn't want these cloned to the SSD, and they would be a lot of hassle to move to the D partition.

So unless I can just clone the OS and copy other software, I feel now it might be better to start with a fresh copy. But I would also need to keep the HDD as it is with W10 untouched as a backup. Is this possible? I recall some discussion a while ago on EULAs and what you can and can't do. Not sure if it's allowed to have 1 OS licence for 2 copies of windows on one PC?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users