Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilon BIOS update

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bcomp4jim

bcomp4jim

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 02:22 AM

I have a HP Pavilion 9720us and I had to replace the hard drive. No hard drive is showing up in the BIOS and I was advised by a Tech at work to FLASH the BIOS. I would but it does not have Windows and install is failing trying to find the Hard Drive. Phoenix has a automatic BIOS install and I can not find the file to put on USB and boot to HIREN'Ss BOOTCD 15.2 so I can install it  Where can I find a BIOS upgrade for my Phoenix Ver. F.27 BIOS?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 02:52 AM

A BIOS update must be sourced from HP, not Phoenix, who only supply the universal modular BIOS for manufacturers to customize.

Ensure the exact HP model is being used, DV9720us leads to :

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-dv9700-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/3632106/model/3647017

Current BIOS version is F.34. Note that we would only expect this to solve an issue something like where HP had not allowed for a drive of the capacity being fitted.

Instructions for BIOS updates when Windows cannot operate:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-dv9720us-Entertainment-Notebook-PC/3632106/model/3647017/document/c00042629#AbT1

Edited by Platypus, 23 July 2016 - 02:55 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 bcomp4jim

bcomp4jim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:47 AM

It says they have no updates except through device manager or windows update. A tech at work told me I should be able to make a bootable USB and flash from a DOS. Is that true?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 09:08 AM

I don't believe you can flash HP firmware using Dos. On some older Dells it is possible. With the newer UEFI system you can flash using a USB flash drive but if your support site does not list a later version then I would not attempt to flash your firmware. I doubt the reason your drive is not detected in UEFI/BIOS is because of your firmware not detecting it.

Make sure your hard drive is connected properly to the connectors on the motherboard. If the original drive was 9.5mm thick and the newer one 7mm there is a chance the drive is not properly connected using the drive caddy. See last post here.

JTWCK.jpg

#5 bcomp4jim

bcomp4jim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:22 AM

No they are the same one was a Hitachi 160 GB and the other is a TOHAIBA 320 GB the connector I used us the SATA pin connector that came with the HP all fits. When I boot to HIREN'S BOOTCD it goes to WIN XP and I can see the two drives I have a second drive and it sees and can read and copy or delete all files. I found the BIOS F.34 file after I went through support.hp.com. I need to make a Bootable USB or try it through HIREN's.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:45 AM

I don't recommend you flash but that being said you can use Rufus to create a bootable USB of the Hirens iso or use FreeDos which is included in Rufus.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

If Hirens can see the two drives then your UEFI/BIOS has to have detected the new drive. If not then Hirens miniXP would not have detected your new drive.

What OS are you trying to install?

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 July 2016 - 10:46 AM.

#7 bcomp4jim

bcomp4jim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:02 AM

I am trying to install Windows 7 Pro SP1. The HP file I downloaded to update the BIOS only works in Windows. I said can not run in DOS mode.

I was working fine I had purchased the HP Pavilion 9720us in 2008 with VISTA, I updated it to Windows 7 Pro and I was doing fine up until a month ago I  had updated to Windows 10 and still doing fine and the hard drive failed. I took a hard drive out of a working PC that had a bad mobo. My client ripped out the connector to the keyboard trying to fix it himself. He gave it to me and I replaced the hard drive the year before. I tried to format it and start from a new copy of Windows and it fails to install certain files.

I am trying to update the BIOS which was suggested by my IT friend at work and it has no Windows so no update. In the CMOS it shows no hard drive but I ran the test there and it said passed 100% so it sees it. I give up.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,435 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 11:07 AM

Your dilemma seems to be a strange one. Like JohnC, I'm not entirely convinced a BIOS update would solve the issue, but it is just possible HP has been unreasonable enough to put some type of bar on detecting larger hard drives properly.

If you really want to proceed with trying the update, there are a few possible ways to go. The simplest I suspect would be if your IT friend can source a Windows To Go USB boot drive (a Windows Live environment that can be created in Windows Enterprise 8 or later, including Windows 10 Education). More complex would be to find a small drive that it will recognize and do a temporary Windows installation just to flash the BIOS. As a last resort, if the BIOS offers an Update from USB option, it may be possible to extract a .BIN file from the installer and do it that way, but I think that would be messy and risky...

Edited by Platypus, 25 July 2016 - 11:09 AM.

#9 bcomp4jim

bcomp4jim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:28 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions I will see how it goes.

The drives are recognized in Hirren's BootCD15.2. I ran a Memory checker that was in Hiren's and a lot of memory comes up red. I am going to check the RAM.

I can not install Windows on this PC. I get an error or should I say many different BLUE Screen errors.

I have to see why I can see both drives and copy from them but Windows won't install, weird.

#10 bcomp4jim

bcomp4jim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:32 AM

Platypus, thanks, I made a bootable USB and the file said it will not run in DOS mode. I tried a solution making a bootable NTFS USB and it can not find the boot loader.

I have to check how to make the partition bootable.

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,435 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:34 AM

I ran a Memory checker that was in Hiren's and a lot of memory comes up red.

Get that sorted before doing anything else. You don't want to be doing a BIOS update on a system with faulty RAM. Faulty RAM can cause all sorts of things including erroneous indication of a faulty hard drive. Was the original drive confirmed to be faulty with testing in another system?

Edited by Platypus, 27 July 2016 - 12:38 AM.

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,435 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:37 AM

Platypus, thanks, I made a bootable USB and the file said it will not run in DOS mode.

The WinPhlash loader will only run under Windows. You'd either need to have a temporary bootable Windows environment, or extract a .BIN file from the WinPhlash loader and use a DOS flashing program or be able to flash a .BIN file from within the BIOS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users