Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Machine powers down randomly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 why_oh_why

why_oh_why

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 02:18 AM

I first encountered this problem when playing Magic The Gathering on Steam and the issue seemed to stay unique to STEAM however, I have re-installed windows and now face the issue of my desktop powering down at random intervals without even having steam installed.

I am running windows memory diagnostics right now and will also test the CPU, HDD & GFX and report back when I am done with them all.

I'm 90% sure my PC is NOT overheating, I have faced this problem before on a different desktop and my desktop feels no-where near as hot as the last one did when it was over-heating.

It is a custom built desktop with AMD quad core CPU and 16 GB RAM and a 1 TB HDD with on-board nvidea graphics and also on-board audio, can post exact specs later if required.

Is there anything else besides what I'm testing that might cause this issue?

Thank you for your kindness in advance.

- One Frustrated PC-USER

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 why_oh_why

why_oh_why
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 01:29 AM

o.k so almost 24 hours later all the results are in :

TEST RESULTS :
memory - memtest86 5 hours - 2 passes : no errors
cpu - prime95 4 hours : no errors
gfx - furmark 30 mins : no errors

hdd :
windows 8 check for errors : no errors
windows chkdsk : no errors
crystal disk info - health : good - everything blue
easeUS partition master - check partition : no errors
easeUS partition master - surface test : 0 bad sectors
seatools fo windows ;
smart test : pass
shortDST : pass
short generic : pass
long generic : pass

SPEC :

MOTHERBOARD : GIGABYTE GA-F2A78M-HD2 rev 3.1
CPU : AMD A10-5800K
GFX : AMD RADEON HD 7660 D
RAM : 2 * 8 GB crucial DDR3
HDD : SEAGATE ST1000M003 1 TB

So it doesn't look like it's the CPU, GFX, PSU, RAM or HDD which leave the MOBO, drivers, software and firmware.
I can rule out drivers because I purchased a legit copy of 'driver boost' before I re-installed windows and straight after re-installing windows I had the problem re-occour - power down with no warning or 'shut-down'. The same was happening with all the latest drivers pre re-install.
So that leaves the MOBO, firmware and software, I don't think it's software because I have tried UBUNTU 16.04 and had the same problem there as-well WITHOUT steam.
SO, what remains? The Motherboard... Funny thing is, I havn't had a single power off during all my tests so I dont know what to think, I have only had 1 power off since re-installing windows, maybe it was a freak one off, unrelated to the previous ones but my gut instinct tells me otherwise.

Is there a way I can reliably test all aspects of the motherboard and any firmware I have installed?

Is it possible part of my firmware is infected?

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:19 AM

Unfortunately, I don't have the time today to do a heavy analysis, but try disconnecting both your front panel power-on switch, and the reset button switch. First test the Power-on switch: trace the cable from where it plugs in to the mainboard. You can use your manual that came with the computer to ID it, and it should be labeled on the mobo also, usually something like "pwr", or "pwr sw" or somesuch. Pull it off, exposing the contacts. Take a flat-bladed screwdriver and cross the two exposed contacts. The computer will power up normally. Let it run for two days or more and stress the heck out of it with a game of your choice. If your shut downs stop you found your problem....bad power switch.

Do the Power-on switch first.

You can test the reset switch by just pulling off the connection cable and then run the computer normally. I have had cases where both of these failed and it is always the last thing I think of. It gets me every time.

Edited by ranchhand_, 24 July 2016 - 08:23 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:11 AM

Overheating doesn't have to be noticeable to you outside of the case.  I once had an overheating video card (the temp sensor was defective also).  and I didn't notice it until I burned myself on the video card :0(

If you had problems in Ubuntu and in Windows - then it's OS independent (and this makes it more likely to be a hardware issue).

Just a thought, what happens when you gently move the case/gently move the exterior cables (and/all of them)?

Had this problem with an iMac at work the other day - another tech hadn't securely plugged in the power cable, so moving it would shut it off

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users