Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 upgrade stuck in a loop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 reginaldvw

reginaldvw

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 01:46 AM

I have upgrade 3 desktops and 1 laptop in the past couple of days and it went very well. No problems at all.

I'm trying to upgrade a Windows 7 Professional desktop to W10 but there is an issue.

I should add I downloaded the upgrade (about 3 GB) yesterday and then scheduled it for this morning. While doing so I was logged in with my user profile.

Then this morning I logged in as admin, didn't wait for the scheduled upgrade and wanted to start it manually. Stupid me? I'm guessing this started my problem...

- I open Windows Update
- I see there is 1 update 2.936,3 MB and the "Get started" button
- I click "Show all available updates"
- I see "Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10586" as an optional update and click "OK"
- I click the "Get started" button
- I enter my admin UAC password
- then I get a Window in Windows Update but it gets closed immediately to display the Windows Update nag screen saying:

Windows
Your upgrade is ready to install
Save your work and leave your PC plugged in and turned on. The upgrade might take a while, but we'll let you know when it's done.
[Schedule it for later] [Start the upgrade now]

- When I click the [Start the upgrade now] button my computer reboots and I have to start all over again.

I did the same when logged in as my user profile but same result.

Any suggestions?

Perhaps deleting the downloaded upgrade and starting over may solve the issue?

Edited by reginaldvw, 23 July 2016 - 06:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 reginaldvw

reginaldvw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 06:45 AM

I did some more testing:

1. I click the "Get Windows 10" icon in the systray

2. I see the "Get Windows 10" with the countdown clock and an [Upgrade now] button

3. I click the [Upgrade now] button

4. I need to enter my admin UAC password twice (ALWAYS get that popup twice)

5. Then Windows Update is opened and I see the "Upgrade to Windows 10" and a "Get started" button

6. I click the "Get started" button

7. Again UAC

8. then I get (still in Windows Update) a text "Your upgrade to Windows 10 is ready" and a "Restart now" button. At the same time another window opens with the following text:

Windows

Your upgrade is ready to install

Save your work and leave your PC plugged in and turned on. The upgrade might take a while, but we'll let you know when it's done.

[Schedule it for later] [Start the upgrade now]

9. This time I click the "Restart now" button

10. I'm back to square one: my computer restarts but it doesn't upgrade. I have to login and start all over just to find out I have to login again...

Any ideas?

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:16 AM

Start the upgrade process from user account that is member of the Administrators group if you can change your user account type to administrator from Control Panel --> User  Accounts.

Posted Image

#4 reginaldvw

reginaldvw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:30 AM

Thank you, FreeBooter, but I did. I tried it from an admin account and from my user account several times (each). Only difference is if user account it'll ask for UAC.

Edited by reginaldvw, 23 July 2016 - 07:30 AM.

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:35 AM

Turn off UAC and make sure to uninstall third party antivirus programs and after turning off UAC try to upgrade to Windows 10 from administrator user account.

Disable User Account Control (UAC) the Easy Way on Win 7, 8, or 10

Posted Image

#6 reginaldvw

reginaldvw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:35 AM

Thanks again, FreeBooter, for helping me. I really appreciate it.

I tried turning UAC off (I had already uninstalled my AV). With UAC off it didn't work as admin user: I'm back to the login screen. With UAC off as a normal user I am now getting en error:

Something went wrong

Something went wrong. Please try again later.

I'm now looking in the event logs...

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:07 PM

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair is a tool designed help fix a large majority of known Windows problems including; registry errors, file permissions, issues with Internet Explorer, Windows Updates, Windows Firewall and more. Download Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tool and run the Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tool from Safe Mode With Networking and  from Repairs tab click Open Repairs button. From opened Repairs window place check mark for  Reset Registry Permissions, Reset Service Permissions, Register System Files, Repair WMI, Repair Network, Repair Windows Firewall, Remove Policies Set By Infections, Repair Proxy Settings, Repair Windows Updates, Repair MSI (Windows Installer), Restore Important Windows Services, Set Windows Services To Default Startup,  Restore UAC (User Account Control) Settings, Repair Hosts File, Repair Performance Counters, Repair Volume Shadow Copy Service, Repair MDAC & MS Jet and Reset File Permissions check boxes and click Start Repair button.

Posted Image

#8 reginaldvw

reginaldvw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:14 PM

I was able to upgrade by downloading the executable from:

I ran that and I'm writing to you now from W10! :)

Edited by reginaldvw, 23 July 2016 - 12:14 PM.

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 02:18 PM

Nice to hear you have upgrade to Windows 10 thanks for telling us how you have solve the issue.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users