Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows 10 reset option/won't computer install/loop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bbonnah

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:36 PM

I apologize in advance if I'm not posting in the right place :S I upgraded my desktop to Windows 10 a couple of months ago, and everything was fine until recently. I cannot boot to my desktop anymore, it just starts into the Recovery and advanced repair options screen. I'm assuming this was triggered due to an automatic update. I've attempted a number of  things while trying to find a solution online: 

Under Advanced options I have tried System Restore and Startup repair, which both failed. 

I've launched into Safe mode and disabled Windows Update & Background Intelligent Transfer Service, emptied the Software Distribution folder and reset - nothing.

I've tried to go back to the previous build which also failed. It suggests the Reset PC option.  

When attempting to Reset (choosing to keep my files, of course), it seems to be working initially as it completes the reset OK. When it moves on to installing Windows, after a few minutes it says cannot complete the installation, undoing changes. After several more minutes it restarts and I'm right back where I started.

I just launched back into Safe mode and tried to access the Update And Recovery menu to uninstall the last update or to try System Restore again but when click on this option under Settings it refuses to open; it flashes quickly and closes right away. I can navigate through any other options under Settings without this problem :S

I am at my wits end and have no idea what to do now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by bbonnah, 22 July 2016 - 11:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,084 posts
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:09 AM

I work on a lot of these at work.  We most often will backup the data and either:

- do a clean install of W10, or

- do a clean install of whatever OS the user is using, and then update immediately to W10

Beyond that, here's 2 sets of suggestions about repairing this sort of error.  They won't be awfully specific, as this is most often a general error that has many different causes.:

Otherwise this tends to look similar to many other problems that we've seen with W10 being installed on well-used systems.

There's a couple of things to try:

1)  Uninstall your antivirus, then use the removal tool for it (there's a list of most of them here:  http://www.carrona.org/avuninst.html ), then install a freshly downloaded, W10 compatible version.  Some A/V have difficulties with the upgrade, so removing them and then reinstalling them will help how they run.

2)  Download fresh copies of the latest, W10 compatible audio and video drivers for your system.  Then uninstall the current versions from your system.  Then install the freshly downloaded versions.

3)  Get ALL available Windows Updates

4)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs from the manufacturer's website.  If some aren't compatible w/W10, check here about uninstalling them.

5)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs for any add-on hardware and any software that you installed previously.  If they aren't compatible, please uninstall them.

If this doesn't fix things, then post back so we can discuss the following options:
- continuing to attempt to fix this copy of the OS
- System Restore to a point before the problems started happening.
- Repair install of W10:  https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html
- Reset of the OS (considering both the "Keep My Files" and the "Remove Everything" options)
- revert to the previous OS (both at less than 30 days, and at more than 30 days since initial update)
- revert to the previous OS with another attempt at installing W10 (I don't recommend this)
- clean install of the previous OS
- clean install of the previous OS, then update to W10 (only needed if a clean install of W10 fails)
- W10 clean install

here's some repair/recovery/restore options (in this order):

1 - Startup Repair.  Run it 3 times, rebooting in between tries.

2 - System Restore to a point before this started happening.

3 - DISM/SFC repair (DISM doesn't work with W7, although SFC does)

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

4 - RESET using the "Keep My Files" option (W8 calls this a REFRESH; W7 and earlier doesn't have this function)

5 - Repair install of the OS (Thanks to FreeBooter!):

"How To Perform a Repair Installation For Windows 8, 8.1 and 10"

"How to Do a Repair Install to Fix Windows 7"

"How To Perform a Repair Installation For Vista"

"Non-destructive reinstall of Windows XP"

6 - RESET using the "Remove Everything" option (W8 calls this a RESET; W7 and earlier doesn't have this function)

If using W7 or earlier, this can be accomplished by resetting the system by use of the recovery partition/recovery disks/recovery drive.
If you don't have them, you can usually order them from the OEM manufacturer of your system ( US points of contact here:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html )

7 - Wipe and reinstall from the Recovery Partition (if so equipped)

8 - Wipe and reinstall from Recovery Media - to include deleting all partitions.
If you don't have them, you can usually order them from the OEM manufacturer of your system ( US points of contact here:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html )

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users