Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about what data is stored in the processing cache (or any cache)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kurtgillis12

kurtgillis12

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:51 PM

Do internet browsers such as Firefox and Internet Explorer store anything in the processing cache? URLs/Webpage screenshots, things like that? Perhaps another type of computer cache stores that info? Or do these browsers only cache things on the hard drive?

I was thinking about selling my laptop (without hard drive) and was curious about what these caches may be keeping in terms of browsing history related things.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 05:28 AM

Do internet browsers such as Firefox and Internet Explorer store anything in the processing cache? URLs/Webpage screenshots, things like that? Perhaps another type of computer cache stores that info? Or do these browsers only cache things on the hard drive?

I was thinking about selling my laptop (without hard drive) and was curious about what these caches may be keeping in terms of browsing history related things.

Browsers usually store webpages, cookies etc. Not webpage "screenshots" but webpages. Cache location is usually hardd drive, but at least on Firefox you can change browser cache to use RAM (so that cache vanishes when computer is restarted).

If you are concerned in provacy, you should use private mode (many names for that) or regurarly empty browser cache, history and such.

Depending on browser, you can actually check cache files. For locations, google browser_name cache location

Edited by Drillingmachine, 23 July 2016 - 05:28 AM.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 05:09 PM

Processor cache is a form of RAM and is used to hold data while the CPU is processing it and this data is continuously changing. Since it is RAM when you downpower the computer it blanks because, like all RAM, it needs power to store data.

Data such as browser history is stored on the hard drive, mostly in the /Users/ folders.

Would you not get a better price for your laptop if you sold it with a hard drive ?  I understand your concern for your privacy and data but if you remove the hard drive, slave it to another computer (perhaps using a USB caddy) you could format it then use the 'Wipe free space' tool in Ccleaner or a similar product to do a couple of passes over it. This probably would not stop NSA, GCHQ or even perhaps the Deuxieme Bureau from recovering the data but would stop almost any private individual from doing so.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users