Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two separate hdd's won't boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 j1983

j1983

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:55 PM

I posted an issue in the networking section thinking my pci adapter may have caused my system not to boot but after attempting to boot with my backup hard drive and not having any success, I'm starting to think it may be related to something else. 

Long story short, i had some network issues with my new tplink 300Mpci adapter, I removed it and put the old linksys 54g one in but after that my win7 fresh install on a 10 day old HDD would either get stuck on the win7 loading page or go into startup repair which after an hour or two would state it could not repair the problem remotely. It also freezes up so I have no option but to power down.

I tried a backup drive which I use for this sort of situation but now the backup drive running win7 with only the basic drivers and programs won't load up either. I get the same options, either startup repair that doesn't repair or being stuck in the win7 loading screen. 

I'm running an old dell e521, I  recently replaced my 7+ year old main hdd with a new wd 1tb drive and installed win 7 on it around 10 days ago. I have also been using a new 300M pci card for about 2 weeks. Problems with the wifi network started two days ago when I tried to connect a line directly to the pc which solved itself after a restart. They started again after attempting to access an old hdd which required multiple restarts. Now the pc won't start up at all with two separate drives. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:12 AM

Have you tested the drives and/or the WiFi adapters with another computer (if you can)?

Have you tried booting into SafeMode with either of the drives?

#3 j1983

j1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:40 PM

It doesn't give the option to go into safe mode, only startup normally or startup recovery. Before it got this bad, I did try to enter safe mode with networking but it stopped at the loading page.

I tried many different configurations, changed the position of the wifi card, removed it, had two wifi cards etc.. Even tried removing the gpu to see if that helped. 

I also removed the ram and put it back on, it wen't through the same cycled twice after that but the third time got it to work, although I don't know how much that had to do with it.

Everything worked fine overnight, I put the case back on hoping this had been solved but this morning one of my HDD's was missing so I restared the pc and now I'm stuck back in the win7 loading page. 

I'm wondering if this might be related to the motherboard? 

EDIT: One thing I've noticed at the startup recovery menu and the startup recover itself is the animation for the loading and progress bar freezes a lot. Not sure if that indicates anything one way or another...

Edited by j1983, 23 July 2016 - 07:41 PM.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 09:17 PM

A problem with the motherboard was my suspicion when I first posted. The problems with two different drives and a PCI WiFi card seemed too coincidental to me. The more logical assumption was the one thing in common (i.e. the motherboard) was the potential problem. Testing the hard drive and/or WiFi independently would potentially help confirm in that direction.

I supposed it could potentially also be the PSU. If there is not enough consistent, proper power going to the hard drives or the WiFi PCI card (through the PCI slot), then I supposed that could potentially cause such issues.

#5 j1983

j1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 03:15 AM

Thanks for the quick response. 

Would a PSU issue cause constant freezing and hanging too? Now I've been able to get it to start but it's mostly frozen and the missing drive is still missing, although bios was able to identify it.

I've had issues with the psu before, the one I'm using now is a four or five year old antec 500w I used to replace my old one. I remember when it failed I was getting constant blue screens and shutdowns and pc making some noise but not not staring up when I pressed the power button. At the time I only had two hdd's as opposed to the four I now have. 

It could be the psu as you pointed out but I'm leaning towards the motherboard on this, having opened it up and seen many bad transistors as pointed out by another member on a previous post. 

I'm going to try again with just one hdd connected to see if that improves anything...

EDIT: I don't know if this makes a difference but the missing drive is a 3tb drive which I had to get a driver for in order for my current motherboard to be able to identify it as such and not as a 1.7gb drive. Now it's totally missing so I don't know if that's a driver issue or what.  

Edited by j1983, 24 July 2016 - 03:20 AM.

#6 j1983

j1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:03 AM

Update: It worked fine this afternoon after a choppy or laggy initial boot up where it would freeze about 2-3 minutes everytime I tried to move the mouse. Still missing the 3tb hard drive. I watched a few video's, put away some important files and restarted it after watching a stream of the F1 race tonight expecting it not to start up again but it did, and this time all four connected HDD's show up and work fine.  The only thing is now, the wifi is all wonky once again with all the sites giving me the same "Connection Interrupted" and "A Network Change Has Been Detected" messages when I try to go to a website. I reset it again and it started up fine but still the same wifi issue and I hear that noise that windows makes when a device is disconnected, right at the startup. 

So if I can get it to start up, it's either the HDD or the Wifi that goes. I guess it could be a PSU issue after all..

It's too late in the night to look into this further but I'll see what happens tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users