Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't backup or do system Image

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 peterlonz

peterlonz

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:24 PM

I decided eventually that I should probably download (whilst it's available) the free Win10 offered by MS.

My PC is not running perfectly by any means & I now think it could take some time to properly sort out the problems.

Maybe an Install of Win10 will help but maybe it won't even install.

So I figure I should at least have a backup & system image of what I have now before attempting the Win10 install.

Problem right there. Every time I try I have the same message not enough disc space I I think on C ).

Here's what I have:

OS  =  Win7 (64) Home Ed.

C drive: (vssadmin list shadowstorage), on 240Gb SSHD.  Used 114Gb, free 123Gb.

I think somewhere there is a dedicated 100GB section which might not be available ???

The HD I intended to hold the backup has 381Gb free.

What is the simplest solution, suggestions, please

Edited by hamluis, 23 July 2016 - 10:45 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:43 AM

What backup software are you using?

Louis

#3 peterlonz

peterlonz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:53 PM

Louis,

Thanks for the reply.

I have used several:

Windows 7 built in backup

Macrium

Acronis

They all end up failed showing the same space shortage message. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 02:35 PM

Have you tried doing a disk image with Macrium's bootable disk or USB flash drive? Doing the disk image outside of Windows may work.

#5 peterlonz

peterlonz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:31 PM

It's been ages so I am not exactly sure.

So, I updated Macrium &:

1) Created the bootable rescue disc, as they recommend; it seems to work.

2) Made a system image of C drive (69Gb) & saved it on space on one of my HD's.

Is this what you mean by "outside of windows"?

Can I reasonably expect a download of Win10 to go smoothly?

I'd prefer to have a dual boot capability but doubt my C drive has the space due to what I think is 100Gb of reserved space?

Anyway C Drive shows 129Gb free space according to Win Explorer

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 09:36 PM

Yes, that is what I meant by "outside of Windows". I think you would be pushing a dual boot with only 128GB of free space. That would probably leave you with less than 100GB for storage. The download would go smoothly but the install may be another story. The only way to know is to try it. There may be some driver issues depending on your hardware.

I am not sure what the 100GB or Reserved Space would be. The System Reserved Partition is usually 100MB.  You can check your System Image by verifying it in Macrium. You can also mount the image and check by exploring the files in the image.

#7 peterlonz

peterlonz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 07:12 PM

Well completing the picture:

To my surprise Win 10 downloaded & installed without any problems.

Getting Cortana to work was a bit challenging, due IMHO to MS's appalling system settings design.

Anyway it works now, if you consider simply bringing up Bing search results a satisfactory response.

I can't get Cortana to open Word, that surely should be very possible?

Other that my internet access time, which seems to have slowed, Win 10 appears to work OK.

I have yet to try a Win 10 backup using the inbuilt MS tools.

Thanks everyone for the help

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,044 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 07:38 PM

Now that it has done the install, and satisfied the 'activation requirements' etc etc....I would download Win 10 and do a fresh install .....or at the very least do a "Reset This PC'

Either one of these would hopefully clean up any little glitches in win 10 such as the issue you are experiencing with Cortana.

Clean Install

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/clean-install-windows-10/1c426bdf-79b1-4d42-be93-17378d93e587

Reset/Refresh

http://www.howtogeek.com/132428/everything-you-need-to-know-about-refreshing-and-resetting-your-windows-8-pc/

or

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/reset-windows-10-pc

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 peterlonz

peterlonz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 09:49 PM

I get the idea but:

"Windows will remove all installed desktop programs. A list of the removed programs will be saved to your desktop".

That's not very convenient, I have lots of programs that would individually require time to reinstall & adjust settings.

So long as Cortana remains my principle beef I will make do, at least for some time, & see how things work out.

I don't really think Win 10 is any better than Win 7 anyway & certainly it needs a fair amount of time to learn the ropes.

I might ultimately decide to do a clean install of win 7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users