Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC won't connect to wifi router

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 j1983

j1983

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:04 PM

The other day I connected my pc directly to the internet line for the first time since I bought it in 2007, to test the speed. It's two feet from the router separated by a wall in a different room so I normally just use wifi. We had recently upgraded to a 1000M connection from a 30M connection and I wanted to see which setup was fastest. This turned out to be a useless step since my PC's integrated controller only goes up to 100M and provided the same speeds as my 300M Tp-link wn841 router. 

After I did this, I experienced issues with my wifi using a week old TP-Link WN851 PCI adapter which I had purchased to replace my old Linksys 54g adapter. The signal was there but the internet would cut out. On chrome I kept getting "Connection Interrupted" and "Network Change Detected" Messages.  I tried resetting the router, making sure the internet line was connected properly to it and some diagnostics on the pc but nothing helped.  I eventually restarted and it all seemed good. 

Yesterday, the day after my initial issue with the wifi, I was attempting to access my old drive via sata, this process required a few restarts and quite frequently accessing different parts of the old drive would result in the pc freezing for 4-10 minutes at a time. After three or four attempts at this I decided to give up.  

When I removed the old hdd and put everything back into place I restarted my pc, there was an option to go to startup repair, probably because of all the restarts, but I skipped it and it worked fine. When windows 7 stared however, I heard that noise it makes when a device is disconnected. Everything seemed to work ok but after all this, I kept getting the same "Connection Interrupted" and "Network Change has been detected" messages.

This time restarting the pc did not work. I tried removing pci adapter, changing to a different pci slot, and reinstalling the firmware (only one version available), but nothing helped.

I thought the pci adapter had failed so I tried the old Linksys one which detected the signal fine but for some reason could not log into the router despite my numerous attempts. 

After this the pc now won't start up. I get stuck at the win7 loading page or i go into startup repair where it takes 2 hours for it to say that it cannot remotely fix the issue. The keyboard and mouse don't work at this point, or maybe the page is stuck but i can't even choose to exit so I have to power off and it's been the same cycle since last night. 

This is a fresh install on a new HDD less than 2 weeks old. I'm not that good with computers but even I can't manage to bleep a HDD up in such a small amount of time.   Hopefully that's not the case. If anyone could help with this, maybe there is something in my description of events that led up to this that may help you diagnose the issue.

PC is an old dell e521, 2gb ram, win 7 fresh install on a two week old wd blue 1tb, bought after my original Hdd died. All other devices work fine on this wifi.

EDIT: I was able to use my backup hard drive last night, same win 7 os but only the bare essentials with installed antivirus and drivers. The drive worked fine but the linksys pci card was not able to connect to the wifi despite registering multiple signals.

This morning I tried the same drive and I get the same thing. Either get stuck in the win7 login page or startup repair that doesn't repair and freezes at the end.  

Edited by j1983, 22 July 2016 - 09:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:20 PM

Well the problem is that you're putting a Windows 7 on a machine that is a proprietary Dell system designed to function with XP and Vista. One of the biggest issues here is that there is no driver support for Win7 or Win10. So you have no chipset driver, bios driver, lan driver, wifi driver etc for that motherboard to function well with Win7. On top of that you're probably trying to run a pci wifi card driver that is designed to function with Win 7. You see the conflict there? The fact is your pc is a dinosaur. It would probably function better putting a Ubuntu linux operating system on it. Again, even running linux you will be limited to 100mbits only due to the outdated hardware/chipset.

You mentioned that you have upgraded your internet provider speeds?? To 1gbits instead of 30mbits. The model of router that you have is only 10/100 LAN/WAN ports. In order to go higher than 100mbit LAN or WAN everything must be upgraded to handle 1gbits.... A newer system, router, any switches involved, Modem DOCSIS 3.0, the internal/external network cards, the network wiring upgraded to cat6.

#3 j1983

j1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:06 PM

Thanks for taking the time to read my long post. I don't get most of what you say but I've been able to run things fine on this pc and os combination for years now.  It is a pain having to get all the drivers myself, especially for the wifi routers but they usually run fine once they are installed. 

It's starting to look more like a motherboard or psu issue rather than the wifi cards themselves. All the parts are running fine, for now anyways. 

Edited by j1983, 25 July 2016 - 10:07 PM.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:40 PM

I think you are having several problems. I will just focus on the network issue because that is the scope of this forum. When you upgraded from 30Mb to 1000Mb, did you also upgrade your router? If so, to what model? If not, your speed is going to be capped by the 10/100Mbps WAN port. 

Also, it's unusual just to "upgrade" from 30Mbps to 1000Mbps. To get 1000Mbps, you need fiber, but I don't know of any fiber ISP that offer a 30Mbps plan. Did you also upgrade modems or change from cable broadband to fiber?

#5 j1983

j1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 07:00 AM

I switched from a 30m connection with a modem to a 1000M fiber connection with a different ISP here in Hong kong.  I've been using the same 300M router for a while now and I've upgraded my PCI card to accommodate the faster speeds not possible with my old 54g card. I've held off getting a new AC router while I sort out the actual speed of my connection which usually tops out below 500M according to speedtests ( I have another thread for that).

Now the issue I havewith the new tplink pci card is sometimes it works fine, and other times i get this "connection was interrupted" and "a network change was detected" message on chrome. The wifi icon keeps displaying normally at first,then there is a yellow triangle with an exlcamation mark, the status is listed as "limited connection" or sometimes "no internet acces" while still being connected. Eventually it shows a red X across the wifi bars indicating no signal on the lower right hand sign of the screen. Resetting the router and reinstalling the driver doesn't help. Sometimes restarting it fixed it, sometimes it takes several attempts.

The old linksys router also has issues connecting since this first happened. I've tried starting windows on a different backup drive and I still get the same issue on the separate drive so I'm inclined to believe this is a mottherboard or possibly a psu issue since at least two or three times I also had an issue with not being anle to see a fourth hdd I have hooked up to the pc.

Beyond this, I don't know how to narrow it down specifically to what part of the pc is causing this problem.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 07:55 AM

Could be the motherboard. Now that you mention HD's not showing up. When the network goes out do you notice USB ports going out? Maybe the south chip is failing on the motherboard. Sometimes I put a sink and fan on them. It could be getting so hot it's starts to fail. Your not overclocking the cpu or anything right? Doing anything like that you have to lock the pci bus clocks.

#7 j1983

j1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 09:42 AM

I don't think I'm overclocking, although it's a possibility it's happening without me knowing. I don't even know what the name is for the internet line...

USB's are working fine, although I only have the mouse and keyboard connected to the six available ports with one other being occupied by a powered hdd. It's only one internal HDD that's not showing up, it's been fine since I first posted about it the day before yesterday. The network thing is still going on, sometimes it's connected to the wifi but says "No Internet connection" despite other devices right next to it having good connectivity.

I'd like to be able to be sure if it's the psu or the motherboard. I'll be getting a new pc soon and I would like to know if I can use my current 500w antec psu in order to cut down on costs a little.

EDIT: It's weird this all happened after I tried to connect the internet wire directly to the computer.

Edited by j1983, 26 July 2016 - 09:54 AM.

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 08:52 PM

Well I wouldn't worry about the PSU. Typically a bad PSU will cause system wide issues with complete odd shutdowns, random BSOD with a 41 error things like that. It's possible the motherboard is bad, but if it's all tied to this one nic you probably bought a dud. Have you tried moving it to another pci slot? Try blowing out the slot with some air and seat it again. You could try going with a USB WiFi dongle instead. Them older pc's south chip gets hot as hell. I have in the past lapped/sanded a old copper penny on both side and then epoxy it to the chip, then epoxy a small aluminum heatsink & tiny micro 12v fan on it. I used a 50/50 arctic silver & lock tight thread locker. Sometimes the south chip gets so darn hot that it starts to fail unitl it cools down. The solder points in the chip fail and you get bad pci slots, audio, nic, usb, ide controller failure. Everything that the south chip handles. Make sense?

It's possible that plugging in your internet wire it shorted and blown out part of the mobo. Funny as that sounds I have in fact done that while working on a system over the years. Not only did it blow the computer system out, it completely fried the router. The ethernet cable slipped out of my hand and slid down contact side facing the backside of the metal chassis. Sparks flew and *poof* everything went dark. So as a beginner techie I learned my lesson that day not to hook up ethernet cables with live power on both ends if you can help it. lol.

As far as the PSU in a new pc. It all depends on how many watts it needs. Typically in a older system and lower watt PSU you will have one 12volt rail and if that 12v rail is only @ 15amps then it likely won't be enough. A beefy video card could use upwards of 20-30 just for itself. If you get into dual video cards SLI or Xfire, then you need a PSU of 750 watts that has 2-3 12volt rails @30-40 amps. It all depends on what you're planning to put in your new rig if you plan on building it yourself. You also may have multiple fans, water cooling, lights etc and multiple drives. Everything should be fine as long as the video card isn't starved for power chaining all that off the rail causing all kinds of chaotic problems making the system overall unstable and random BSOD 41 errors.

#9 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:07 PM

"while I sort out the actual speed of my connection which usually tops out below 500M according to speedtests"

Could you explain this? Is this when connected directly to the ONT or fiber modem? The 10/100Mb switch in the router is going to bottle neck both your wireless and wired connections at 100Mb.

"sometimes it works fine, and other times i get this "connection was interrupted"

When this happens, can other wireless devices get online? 

In general, I doubt this is a hardware issue. Not sure how the thread went from network troubleshooting to comparing voltages of the PSU.  :scratchhead:

#10 j1983

j1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:57 PM

I've restarted it a few more times this morning and tried the same things.   Switched pci's, switched hdd's, and tried the old pci adapter. My pc no longer freezes up or hangs at the windows startup or asks to go into recovery mode. The HDD's are all there but the wifi issue continues to persist.

Temps seem fine. The last time I tried to replace a heatsink and use thermal paste was on a GPU and it did not end well at all, so I'll probably try to stay away from any type of diy cooling for now.

It's possible that plugging in your internet wire it shorted and blown out part of the mobo. Funny as that sounds I have in fact done that while working on a system over the years. Not only did it blow the computer system out, it completely fried the router. The ethernet cable slipped out of my hand and slid down contact side facing the backside of the metal chassis. Sparks flew and *poof* everything went dark. So as a beginner techie I learned my lesson that day not to hook up ethernet cables with live power on both ends if you can help it. lol.

I do often have trouble getting things to fit in the right holes; screws, optical cables and such... I did struggle with getting the internet line directly into the socket, having to reach behind the pc in doing so and may have touched the back of the computer more than a few times as well as attempt to plug it in the wrong way around.

I didn't realize even the internet line making contact with the metal could cause this type of damage, although it does explain the issues I'm having. I sort of wish there would be more symptoms we could really narrow it down. 

#11 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:56 AM

Individual things can stop working on a functional motherboard and there are so many variables to cause that. I have a few motherboards sitting in my bone scrap yard that all have one problem. One motherboard has no audio at all. Another motherboard has no USB at all. Another with a flaky nic that sometimes is detected by the system and sometimes not. So it can be hardware motherboard issue. I cannot say for certain that it's your motherboard. However, it's starting to point to that direction. Maybe you have hard drive corruption. Download speccy and publish the link and post that link.

#12 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:37 PM

" Sparks flew and *poof* everything went dark."\

Were you using a POE inserter? if not, you have one VERY odd network. Like I "hope it doesn't burn your house down" odd. 

#13 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:07 PM

" Sparks flew and *poof* everything went dark."\

Were you using a POE inserter? if not, you have one VERY odd network. Like I "hope it doesn't burn your house down" odd. 

This happen years ago. No there was no extra POE involved. It was just a straight through cable. They do have 2-3v or so running through them normally that is how your data is sent through the line.  The wire slid down the back of the computer chassis causing a dead short. That tiny 3v was enough to blow out the router and motherboard. Call it a fluke or whatever, but that was about the craziest thing that has ever happen that I caused myself. Other than one time finding a clients computer that caught fire inside from LED lighting.

#14 j1983

j1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:40 PM

I'm using a wired connection now and it's running fine. I've just checked the plug thing which is all plastic and there don't seem to be any places where the contacts from the wires could have touched the back panel at all so the chances of that happening may be slimmer than I originally thought. 

Before I commit to getting a new pc and getting rid of this one, i would like to ask if there may be a slim chance all those restarts and plugging in the wire could have changed something on the router wifi router itself to maybe exlude this pc from the network?  

It's weird how the wifi signal shows up but it just can't connect, it's actually stronger then ever with neighbors from the building showing up on the wifi which they normally don't from the location where this pc is fixed to. 
The windows network map shows the tplink wifi card connected to the router but an X between the router and the internet before it eventually disappears. 

Individual things can stop working on a functional motherboard and there are so many variables to cause that. I have a few motherboards sitting in my bone scrap yard that all have one problem. One motherboard has no audio at all. Another motherboard has no USB at all. Another with a flaky nic that sometimes is detected by the system and sometimes not. So it can be hardware motherboard issue. I cannot say for certain that it's your motherboard. However, it's starting to point to that direction. Maybe you have hard drive corruption. Download speccy and publish the link and post that link.

What do you mean by bad hard drive corruption? It's a new hdd, I scanned it for bad sectors before installing win7 on it but it does make that noise windows makes when a device is unplugged, right at the startup.

I though there was a fix for everything. I hate wasting bleep but I guess I could still use this as with a wired connection in my living room or to play videos on my tv. 

#15 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:13 AM

I'm using a wired connection now and it's running fine. I've just checked the plug thing which is all plastic and there don't seem to be any places where the contacts from the wires could have touched the back panel at all so the chances of that happening may be slimmer than I originally thought. 

Before I commit to getting a new pc and getting rid of this one, i would like to ask if there may be a slim chance all those restarts and plugging in the wire could have changed something on the router wifi router itself to maybe exlude this pc from the network?  

It's weird how the wifi signal shows up but it just can't connect, it's actually stronger then ever with neighbors from the building showing up on the wifi which they normally don't from the location where this pc is fixed to. 
The windows network map shows the tplink wifi card connected to the router but an X between the router and the internet before it eventually disappears. 

What do you mean by bad hard drive corruption? It's a new hdd, I scanned it for bad sectors before installing win7 on it but it does make that noise windows makes when a device is unplugged, right at the startup.

I though there was a fix for everything. I hate wasting bleep but I guess I could still use this as with a wired connection in my living room or to play videos on my tv. 

No plugging in the card wouldn't cause issues with the router. I mentioned HD corruption because it could be a corrupt driver, but that isn't your case. Did that tplilnk come with a driver software cd? Some things will not run unless you run the software that comes with it too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users