Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unique problem upgrading to Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:26 PM

I can sure use some suggestions.  I have a Windows 7 machine that I have decommissioned as the hard drive failed. 

I have a cloned copy of my Windows 8.1 installation on a separate hard drive.  I've installed the hard drive and the HP computer is working perfectly. 

When I try to upgrade to Windows 10 the media creation tool worked the first time but somewhere in the process of upgrading it just stopped and when I eventually restarted Windows 8.1 was still on the computer.

I am wondering if during the installation upgrade to 10 if the previous identification code for 8.1 is recognized and since I have that code active on my primary machine (same as the installation that I upgraded to 10) if I am not being allowed to run 10 on the other machine.

Is there a way around this so that I can get Windows 10 installed?  Another question I have is if I can delete my Microsoft Account off of the "decommissioned" machine without affecting what my primary machine does.  I am afraid that deleting

the account on the "decommissioned" machine would also delete the account on my primary.  Please let me know if

anyone has had experience.

Appreciate any and all suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:45 PM

Is there a way around this so that I can get Windows 10 installed?  Another question I have is if I can delete my Microsoft Account off of the "decommissioned" machine without affecting what my primary machine does.  I am afraid that deleting

the account on the "decommissioned" machine would also delete the account on my primary.  Please let me know if

anyone has had experience.

If Windows failed activation, it should still install. Yes you can delete the Microsoft account for Windows 10 and other machines with Windows 10 will continue to use Microsoft Account.

Since time is running out, I suggest that you create another partition and clean install Windows 10 on it. So, even if you plan to upgrade your main Windows 7 partition to Windows 10, you can do so after July 29, if you receive the digital entitlement before that. See here for dual booting Windows 10 with Windows 7: http://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-with-windows-7-or-8/

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users