Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[Win 10] Computer suddenly hangs and stops responding randomly during gaming

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BabaGurGur

BabaGurGur

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 05:23 PM

This problem has been with my PC since probably the 3rd month after I built it, back on New Years 2015. Basically what happens is the computer will suddenly loop the current audio sound for 2-4 seconds, my monitor will enter power saving mode and I have to hold the power button to restart it. This only happens during gaming, never has happened during video streaming. The problem seems to shift from game to game, at one point Rocket League would make it happen within 2 minutes of joining a game almost every time. Now it never happens on Rocket League and now happens much more on Battlefield 4 and Insurgency. It also usually happens during something rather "intense" like an explosion right beside me, but this is not the case everytime.

This problem has followed me from Windows 7, to Windows 8.1, to Windows 10. 

I've already done fresh install on each occasion.

Specs:
CPU - i5 4690k not overclocked
GPU - R9 280x Black edition
RAM - 2x 4GB RIpjaw X 1600
MOBO - asus h81m d-plus
PSU - EVGA 500W Bronze+
Cooler - coolermaster hyper t2
SSD (Windows) - Samsung EVO 256GB
HDD - Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM

My temperatures are fine, during gaming CPU is around 67-74C and GPU is a 69-76C. I have good airflow in the case with a front intake fan, CPU fan is blowing towards the exhaust fan at the back.

i also attached the sysnative file collection zip Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   1.94MB   1 downloads

Edited by BabaGurGur, 23 July 2016 - 03:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 25 July 2016 - 04:55 AM

Please wait until the system does this again, then run this report:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:01 AM

Here's the analysis from the Sysnative stuff:

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 2304) dates from 2015.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a more recent update.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

C: drive only has about 7% free space.  Windows likes 15% free space in order to perform stuff "behind the scenes" without adversely affecting the system's performance.  Please free up 15% on ALL hard drives (you can get away with 10% on larger drives and won't notice a large performance penalty).  Low free space can cause BSOD's - but the actual amount depends on the files being used by the system.

These devices have problems in Device Manager:

VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter    ROOT\NET\0000    This device is disabled.
Not Available    ROOT\HIDCLASS\0001    The drivers for this device are not installed.
Not Available    ROOT\MEDIA\0000    The drivers for this device are not installed.
Not Available    ROOT\MEDIA\0001    The drivers for this device are not installed.

Please re-enable the Virtual Box adapter - then ensure that you update the entire Virtual Box program

I have no clue what the other devices are.  Try uninstalling them (right click on them in Device Manager) and see what happens after a reboot.

A lot of video and USB errors in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report.  What USB devices do you have attached to the system?  Have you updated the drivers for your video card?  Can you try another video card in the system?

MSI Afterburner and Riva Tuner (along with EVGA Precision) are known to cause BSOD's in some Windows systems (it's driver is usually RTCore64.sys).  Please un-install them immediately!

If you're overclocking, please stop the overclock while we're troubleshooting.  Feel free to resume the overclock once the system has been stabilized.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 BabaGurGur

BabaGurGur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 11:28 PM

Hi guys, thanks for you response, the computer just did it again after about 20 minutes of Battlefield 4.

Here is the event viewer logs Attached File  Admin.zip   746.27KB   2 downloads

I cleared some space off the SSD (C:). There is no newer BIOS. I've re-enabled the disabled VM adapter. 

As for USB devices that are plugged in, its just keyboard/mouse/headset. I have the latest driver for my GPU. I unfortunately only have 1 GPU so I can't try another.

I had already uninstalled MSI Afterburner and Rivatuner already and it happened. Nothing is OC'd.

Thanks for your help!

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:11 AM

There doesn't seem to be any specific problems or patterns that stand out in the Admin log file.
As such, we have to suspect a hardware issue.  Also possible are compatibility and low-level driver issues.
Please start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http;//www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

MAJOR EDIT:  This error is the only one in the timeframe prior to the shutdown.  I don't think that it's associated with your problems, but I post it because it's what showed up just before the last shutdown.:
For this error in Event Viewer: 

Level       Date and Time              Source                     Event ID   Task Category
Error    7/25/2016 7:37:51 PM    DistributedCOM    10016       None

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
 and APPID
{9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}
 to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

First, please uninstall all Apple Software.  I've seen a lot of problems with the Bonjour service - but that doesn't necessarily mean that this is your problem - so go ahead and uninstall it all.  You can easily reinstall it later.

Then check to see if the DCOM error has stopped.  If it doesn't then try the repair at this link:
https://shauncassells.wordpress.com/2015/09/28/windows-10-event-10016-fix-the-application-specific-permission-settings-do-not-grant-local-activation-permission-for-the-com-server-application-with-clsid-d63b10c5-bb46-4990-a94f-e40b9d520160-and-a/

Please uninstall the headset software (temporarily) and physically remove the headset from the system.

This is an attempt to rule out/fix the USB problems

Then test to see if this helps the problem.  Once finished testing, download/install a fresh copy of the latest, W10 compatible drivers.

Other items that I've seen with problems in the Admin log.  Please uninstall them, and then test the system to see if that helps.  If you'd like, feel free to download/install a fresh copy of the software (that's compatible with your W10) after the testing is complete:
- Oculus VR and the OVR service launcher
- Intel HAXM (Hardware Accelerated Execution Manager) - read the Removing Intel HAXM section at this link:  https://software.intel.com/en-us/android/articles/installation-instructions-for-intel-hardware-accelerated-execution-manager-windows

Edited by usasma, 27 July 2016 - 06:32 AM.

#6 BabaGurGur

BabaGurGur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:00 PM

After uninstalling OculusVR and disabled a 2nd audio device in device manager (AMD Audio) I have not had a sudden black screen in 4-5 days. It seems resolved, many thanks guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users