Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Antivirus program needed to supplement Defender in Win10?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 webetc

webetc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 05:22 PM

I understand that Windows 10 comes with its own security software (Defender). 

Do i still need to add a standalone Antivirus (like Avast or AWG) to a Windows 10 computer?

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 10 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:25 PM

Depends.....how long has it been since a computer of yours was infected with malware?

A user who is well informed on how malware gets on their computer and follows some rather basic rules don't need to add additional security programs.

The reality is that new malware is found on the internet every day....if not every hour.

Reliance on signature based security programs just want protect you from new malware for days and sometimes years.

Then there is adware....a huge problem these days. Almost all of it bundled with free programs and add-ons....including free security programs. Some acting

very much like malware and as difficult to remove.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 webetc

webetc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:32 PM

Depends.....how long has it been since a computer of yours was infected with malware?....

As far as I know, there is no malware on my PC so far

It is a fairly new PC and my first with Windows 10 - hence my question, do I need to protect it with a secondary antivirus like Avast / AWG etc?

And how do I protect myself from Adware - other than not installing software that is not known to be reputable? 

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 06:38 AM

I understand that Windows 10 comes with its own security software (Defender). 

Do i still need to add a standalone Antivirus (like Avast or AWG) to a Windows 10 computer?

No. Windows 8 and Windows 10 integrates a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Windows 8/10 Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) provides on older operation systems and uses the same daily virus definition updates. If you use Windows 8/10 Defender as your primary anti-virus, there is no need to install another anti-virus solution.

In fact, if you install a third-party anti-virus Windows 8/10 Defender typically is automatically disabled by the installation and will remain disabled until that anti-virus software has been completely uninstalled.

Although Windows 8/10 Defender provides some anti-malware protection...it is weak, meaning it does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. This is true for most anti-virus solutions. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs generally scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.
Anti-malware programs generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.
Anti-virus and Anti-malware solutions with anti-exploitation features protect against zero-day malware, drive-by downloads, exploits and Exploit Kits.

Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution for maximum protection.Please read Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools for information about trustworthy and effective anti-malware programs.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 11:28 PM

Norton 360 has been really working well for me although it is not free and is pretty expensive yearly to keep it running.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,743 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 07:46 AM

Since Windows 8/10 Defender includes anti-virus protection, it typically is disabled by the installation of a third-party anti-virus program. Windows Defender recognizes the install and automatically disables itself when other anti-virus products are used to avoid conflicts.

#7 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 08:24 PM

Might be a controversial mildly dissenting opinion, but I don't consider Defender to be 'all that effective' as an AV. If it was, would as many folks with Win8/8.1/Win10 be getting as much malware as they seem to be? (Yes, Defender does perform a function, and is fine for computers that do not really visit much other than safe sites, and, of course it is better than nothing. But I'd be hard pressed to say Defender is 'as good' as all the free alternatives. Even if folks disagree, great, it is a free country. Folks can always use the plethora of 2nd opinion scanners available, such as MBAM, etc...)

I've was impressed with 360TS for the two years I used it, but am currently trying "SecureAPlus", which has a 1 yr free trial, and, seemed to work great at blocking the assorted cryptolockers it was tested against on youtube; despite's it's 'scammy-sounding' name, it seems quite effective, and, when in doubt, it blocks and gives you the option to allow/disallow. When was the last time anyone saw Defender actually block or find.... anything? :)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,743 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 07:25 AM

The user is the first and last line of defense and security is a constant effort to stay one step ahead of the bad guys. No amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice safe computing and stay informed. It has been proven time and again that the user is a more substantial factor (weakest link) in security than the architecture of the operating system or installed protection software.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users