Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After Boot Camp image restore, disk contents don't match up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TechlessOS_3211

TechlessOS_3211

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 04:31 PM

I feel like every time I think I've got this darn computer fixed, another problem pops up...

Okay, so after much headache, I was able to restore Boot Camp from a VHD image... however... what OSX sees as the contents of the BOOTCAMP disk, and what BOOTCAMP sees of itself are completely different. 

According to OSX, here's the contents:

Kenz$~:   cd /Volumes/BOOTCAMP/
Kenz$~:   ls
$Recycle.Bin/              Program Files/             Users/
BOOTSECT.BAK*              Program Files (x86)/       Windows/
Boot/                      ProgramData/               WindowsImageBackup/
DRIVERS/                   RHDSetup.log*              bootmgr*
Documents and Settings/    Recovery/                  hiberfil.sys*
Intel/                     Recovery.txt*              pagefile.sys*
PerfLogs/                  System Volume Information/

This is how the drive looked before System Restore, yet OSX still thinks this is what is on the disk...

Here's the contents as seen from Windows, for comparison:

Directory of C:\

10/06/2015  02:45 PM                58 AppleBcInstaller.log
04/19/2016  09:08 AM             4,528 app_updater.log
02/02/2015  10:19 AM    <DIR>          Autodesk
01/03/2015  07:41 PM    <DIR>          Intel
07/13/2009  10:20 PM    <DIR>          PerfLogs
11/12/2015  03:02 PM    <DIR>          PhSp_CS2_UE_Ret
07/11/2016  05:44 PM    <DIR>          Program Files
07/15/2016  03:37 PM    <DIR>          Program Files (x86)
07/15/2016  11:58 AM    <DIR>          RegBackup
10/15/2015  07:13 PM             2,058 RHDSetup.log
01/04/2015  06:47 PM    <DIR>          Sandbox
01/03/2015  05:13 PM    <DIR>          Users
07/22/2016  03:48 PM    <DIR>          Windows
               3 File(s)          6,644 bytes
              10 Dir(s)  66,776,281,088 bytes free

I feel this is an OSX problem, like I need to reset its memory of the BOOTCAMP volume or something.

I have unmounted than re-mounted the disk, reset NVRAM/PRAM and disabled Tuxera NTFS... but it still shows this as the contents.

Any ideas on how to fix this? While I could leave it alone since both OSX and Windows function and boot properly, I would like to create a WinClone image of Boot Camp, and in this situation it would probably create an image of the wrong thing, so I'd like OSX to see the disk correctly. The driving factor here is that I'd like to take advantage of the Windows 10 upgrade, but I want to be able to roll back to where I was in the worst-case scenario.

Edited by TechlessOS_3211, 22 July 2016 - 05:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 05:08 PM

I am not certain as to the problem yet. Files like BOOTSECT.BAK, pagefile.sys, hiberfil.sys and recovery are hidden system files in Windows. OSX will reveal them but Windows will not. Equally MacOS has files it will not reveal, AppleBcInstaller.log appears to be one of them.

#3 TechlessOS_3211

TechlessOS_3211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 05:14 PM

Okay, but for example Sandbox is not visible from OSX... that is a folder from the Windows application "SandboxIE" that I use. There is no reason it should be hidden in OSX, if I can see it in Windows.

Moreover, if I look into C:/Users/Kenz/Pictures (for example), none of my photos are there. It's completely empty.

And WindowsImageBackup is the real kicker, as it's not hidden in Windows (I recovered from my external). I put it there on the old, pre-restore drive when I was having difficulty restoring to see if that would work. It shouldn't be there anymore, but it is.

...perhaps the problem would be more visible if I showed the differing contents of my Desktop or Program Files folders?

Edited by TechlessOS_3211, 22 July 2016 - 05:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users