Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Programming language for someone who is starting out?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Ethan_PCG

Ethan_PCG

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 02:27 PM

For the past few days I've been thinking about which programming language to learn, one that is quite primitive and is easy to learn. I've decided to look at Python, Ruby, C++ (a bit advanced), PHP, C#, and Lua. 

"I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out how to use my telephone."
- Bjarne Stroustrup

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 02:37 PM

Speaking from experience, i know python, HTML+CSS Ruby/Rails, Java, Falcon, and C#

the easiest to learn by far was java,

order of simplicity IMO:

Java

Falcon

Python

C#

That's my 2 cents :)

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 02:58 PM

it honestly depends on what you want to do. Python, Ruby (and maybe Lua... don't know a whole lot about it)... these are more scripting type languages. You don't typically build a huge complicated program with them. Meant more for a couple hundred lines of code that perform a specific function. I used Python all the time in my last job to write simple programs that did specific tasks. Most were less than 200 lines.

Java is nice (though I am not the biggest fan of it) because it can be run on a variety of platforms once compiled. You can build something, compile it, then take that executable over to Windows or Linux and it will run.

Don't have much experience with any of the C languages. I had a course on C++ a few years ago and it wasn't bad, C is similar but a bit more complex.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#4 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:05 PM

My favourite language by far is C++, however as a software engineer I'm working with a company which requires VB/A, Python, ASP.NET, C#, Batch...  The thing is, is once you know one it's very easy to transition to another as they all use roughly the same logic, but in different ways.

In my experience, to know which language you should learn, you first have to ask yourself what you want to do with it (Make a quick Website? Becomes a software engineer? Become a web developer? Become a system admin?  Just do fun stuff for your friends or yourself?).

#5 sweedishfish

sweedishfish

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 04:52 PM

The ultimate question.

Start with Java or C++ (they are slightly different then each other) and once you learn one of them, it will be very easy to lear "any" other languages.

Btw, I'm saying Java and C++ because they are widely used and fairly easy to learn.

#6 Webdeveloper

Webdeveloper

• Banned Spammer
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:42 AM

You can learn PHP, it is easy to learn  and simple to use that is why there are many PHP developers these days. But it is a server side language, you also need to learn HTML, CSS to create the Graphical User Interface. Have you learned HTML and CSS??

#7 finley32

finley32

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:47 PM

Java is the best

#8 AshtonAsh

AshtonAsh

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:09 AM

Start to learn Java, and then try to learn Python

#9 Trunks2017

Trunks2017

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:36 PM

I can vouch for all those saying Java. There's a few lectures on youtube from Standford University. They got assignments and pdfs, and files for you to get started. That's how I started almost 7 years ago and I knew nothing about programming back then. I wrote a couple of android apps no less than a year later ! 

Edited by Trunks2017, 12 January 2017 - 02:36 PM.

#10 radbase

radbase

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:00 AM

It is my humble opinion that folks wanting to get into programming ought to use a great "learning" language, and that is, without mistake, Pascal. Namely, Object Pascal as implemented by Borland back in 1995 as the must-have development system!

There are two things you can do for NO COST to get started. You should download the Free Pascal Compiler and install it, and then the free Lazarus IDE for the Object Pascal language. Matter of fact, I am pretty sure the Lazarus download includes the latest version of the Free Pascal Compiler. It also has most the database access and connectivity you might need in your pursuit. An application with no database makes me wonder! Delphi and C++ Builder starter editions do not include these vital components, although you CAN solve that with 3rd party components such as devart's UniDAC. That's what I use and it's luxurious!

Lazarus is a very Delph-like IDE. But the really cool aspect is that you can build an application in it and then compile it on virtually any OS for most computers and devices, including tablets and phones. And it's all FREE! If you want Delphi to do that, you've got to pay a hefty sum, although Embarcadero DOES currently offer Delphi and C++ Builder "starter editions" for free while the offer lasts. They normally sell for $282.00 and $217 respectively and both are very limited in what you can get done with them.

Ruby, Python, C++, etc., have their place in the large scheme of things, but Object Pascal will THRUST you into being a PRODUCTIVE software developer at LIGHT SPEED! Can't be said of those other languages at all. They take a LONG TIME to learn and be productive with.

If you prefer Microsoft products, the Visual Studio Community Edition is available free, too. It, too, is a mature IDE and can do multiple platform development right off the shelf. You can also get Microsoft's MS SQL Server Developer Edition for free from the link. It's one of the best SQL RDBMSs on the planet. You only need to create a FREE account to get it. It' a VERY POWERFUL database and the MS SQL Management Studio is also available for FREE!

Well, best wishes to you for your endeavor into the wonderful world of software development. I hope you find something helpful here that meets your needs!

Kindest regards,

radbase

Edited by radbase, 15 January 2017 - 12:05 AM.

#11 lakshancosta

lakshancosta

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:09 AM

I would recommend starting with python, then a bit of HTML basics and C++ 

Learn Pythonhttps://www.learnpython.org/

Learn HTML   http://www.w3schools.com/html/

Learn C++       - http://www.learncpp.com/

Hope you find a great journey in coding. happy to help

Lakshan Costa :bananas:

#12 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:38 AM

When you guys say Java do you mean JavaScript or just Java?

#13 alaina999

alaina999

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:41 AM

Hello! :) 
I am also new to coding. I am confused which coding program should be used to create game and app. Maybe someone can explain to me, please?:)

#14 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:26 PM

Java, they are 2 different things mate.

#15 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:47 PM

Java, they are 2 different things mate.

Yeah, I know, but I have seen that sometimes coders casually refer to JavaScript as Java, so this is why I needed some clarification. Thank you! :)
BTW, if anybody here needs a quick reference tool, check this out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users