Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CMAK Folders?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:44 PM

Hello Bleeping, i have noticed folders reappearing after i have taken ownership and deleted them, the only one im worried about is CMAK (Connection Manager Administration Kit.)

These folders appear in Program files x86 and Program files.

I have looked in Add/Remove programs, and its not installed on either of my machines yet the folder keeps reappearing (more so on my laptop because i have to restart to switch between OS's

I have NOT installed CMAK and I've disable all Remote Assistance.

Ran Rkill, ADW, JRT, MBAM, SP4, MBAR, and TDSSKiller, nothing found on any of those, any ideas as to why this folder keeps showing up?

Windows 10 Pro Digital Entitlement on Laptop.

Windows 10 Pro Digital Entitlement on Tower.

2 Different installs months apart, and they only seemed to appear after the most recent updates on Tuesday.

Does it have something to do with the number(s) (Product Key) i used?

Any Ideas?

if not time for a clean install on my Tower (it only has LoL and My Browser atm) and hope it doesn't show up anymore/again.

Edited by Viper_Security, 22 July 2016 - 01:47 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 04:12 PM

I have figured out where it came from.

it came along with Windows Update KB3172985.

Will remove it, delete the folder, restart and see if it comes back.

EDIT: I have Uninstalled KB3172985 and VOILA! the CMAK folder did not come back :)

Edited by Viper_Security, 22 July 2016 - 04:37 PM.

hQBT2G3.png

#3 gkdiamond

gkdiamond

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:51 PM

Not sure why you would want to do that instead of finding out what CMAK is or does. By uninstalling the update you have uninstalled everything in the update, including security updates, not just CMAK.

RAS Connection Manager Administration Kit (CMAK): This tool allows you to create custom remote access profiles for VPNs. Unless you know you need this to administer a network, you don’t need it.

In the Windows Features Utility CMAK is disabled by default, so it is not used unless the user deliberately turns it on.

#4 Viper_Security

Viper_Security
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:55 PM

Not sure why you would want to do that instead of finding out what CMAK is or does. By uninstalling the update you have uninstalled everything in the update, including security updates, not just CMAK.

RAS Connection Manager Administration Kit (CMAK): This tool allows you to create custom remote access profiles for VPNs. Unless you know you need this to administer a network, you don’t need it.

In the Windows Features Utility CMAK is disabled by default, so it is not used unless the user deliberately turns it on.

i know exactly what it does, and is used for.  and i know what i have done, if i hadn't i would not have done it. and i did NOT turn it on, it appeared after windows updates, i know for a FACT i did NOT install it purposefully.

hQBT2G3.png

#5 gkdiamond

gkdiamond

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 04:23 PM

Yes it was installed from the update so the CMAK folder and utility will be installed under the programs folder but the utility is not enabled. I wasn't saying you turned it on or installed it just that it is not enabled so it does nothing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users