Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie - SEO etc ?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Portoman

Portoman

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 12:00 PM

Hi

I am planning to create a couple of websites, but does anyone have any advice on how to get the site "known" ? I gather it is to do with things like SEO etc, but I am thinking about paying someone to do that for me - but is it worth it ? Depends on how much ? I know there is stuff on youtube, but I kind of think that paying someone who knows would be a better option.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tinysnook

tinysnook

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 03:28 AM

1) It's worth

2) There are many seo agencies today to fit any budget. But be careful, saving money by choosing the cheapest agency may cost you way more in the future (may get punished by Google for black-hat SEO for example)

3) Basically, SEO is divided into Onpage and Offpage (linkbuilding). You can do basic stuff yourself: Titles, Descriptions, Headings. It won't be perfect but it's free =) Also, I'd suggest checking backlinko.com if you have time and will to dive a bit deeper in SEO.

The truth about linkbuilding is that it's expensive. It doesn't matter if you build links yourself or pay others to build them, white-hat seo costs money as it requires a lot of time. You can't just buy 1000 links for 10 cents anymore.

Answering your question "how to get the site "known" -> write the best content you can -> do onsite SEO (URLs, Titles, etc) -> look for communities, blogs interested in your topic and contribute to them.

Sure, if you can invest at least $500 per month you can find a freelancer to do the job. But don't trust claims like "$100 for top 3 in Google".

#3 johnjpete

johnjpete

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:49 AM

Go for a mix of SEO and paid traffic, build good quality links to your site and promote it on social sites. More importantly, track the traffic using known analytics tools like GA or Gostats and rinse and repeat what works.

#4 Portoman

Portoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 03:35 PM

Okay. So how much would be a reasonable amount to pay ? I don't have a lot, so hundreds of pounds a months is not going to happen.

#5 EGAN

EGAN

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:38 AM

Effective techniques are constantly changing and there's more misinformation thrown about in this field than in any other I've seen. Be careful in hiring an agency if you decide to go that route. Make sure it's one you initiate contact with and not vice versa. If all the companies that contact you by phone or email whenever you register a domain and don't pay for privacy (or some site sells your email info) were any good at what they do they wouldn't need to scour the ICANN database for new registrations and try to take advantage of someone who often times is naive when it comes to matters such as these.

#6 Aflat9

Aflat9

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:30 AM

There is enough information on the internet to be good at it for yourself. 

All paid companies do is register you with a load of directories that are pretty much useless. Learn the basics of coding and use the right words in the right places and it's really not that hard!

#7 EGAN

EGAN

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:47 AM

I totally agree. However thr information out there isn't nearly as reliable as it once was.

Even the prominent sites: SEO Journal, Search Engine Land, etc. still feature articles from years ago that are no longer 100% accurate.

I personally got good at in 2005. Thinks have changed. Getting a page indexed takes longer now than in the past, and relevant, authority links are the only ones that push the needle meaningfully.

Sure, directory links aren't the death sentence many claimed when the animal updates started rolling in, but they can get you in trouble if they make up too high a % of your total link profile. Same goes for forums, guest blogging, and especially comment links. A lot of link building tactics that were once priceless are now dangerous if relied on too heavily and not combined with high-quality, authority lnks from relevant sites.

On-page factors are important, but as long as they're competent they won't get you there alone.

My theory is that user behavior is growing in importance - what's user does after hitting "search." CTR, time one site, pages viewed, bounce rate and especially whether the searcher hits the back button and keeps looking.

There are lots of tools out there. MOZ is among my favorite Chrome extensions, but the pro version is exenpensive as hell if you're not an SEO agency/firm.

#8 Aflat9

Aflat9

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:03 AM

Bounce rate and click through rates are an enormous ranking factor! 

I got one page to jump from page 12 to page 1 with no backlinks, and only the correct URL and content on the page. The page was designed to have a form that everyone clicked on and it worked. Meaning that the bounce rate was 0%. This shot me up the rankings with no authority backlinks straight away.

If you want to get good at SEO you need to design the page right! 

#9 cyberjaguar

cyberjaguar

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 04:22 AM

What tinysnook posted looks like it is from Brad Callen's SEO book that is like 10 years old. Google constantly evolves their search engine, and is very secretive about it.

Google's goal is to keep evolving their search engines in order to make "tricks" and "techniques" worthless. They want their search engine results to be as accurate as possible. That means (ideally) that all the tricks you pay companies to do, like add you to directories (which is so 5+ years ago), or get garbage paid traffic, are going to be worthless as soon as Google figures out how to weed those out. 

And by the way, they are pretty good at doing it. Now, getting paid links, etc to your site runs the risk of being penalized. 

So.... you have 2 main categories of SEO services. You have companies that do all sorts of tricks to try and game the search engines. Chances are, half of what you pay for is obsolete already, and may even backfire on you. The other half is probably going to be obsolete within a year. Remember, Google is as aware of all these tricks and attempts to game their search engine -- as fast as the SEO community is... and their have their people working on filtering those out. Having bleep sites rank highly due to tricks -- rather than through a legit web presence -- is bad for their business. 

So don't waste your money paying for "SEO" that probably consists of many things that Google has already figured out how to detect and penalize.

Rather, focus on legitiamate, organic link building.

What this consists of depends on the kind of content you have -- if you have articles, this can involve things like posting thoughtful, contributing comments on blogs similar to your site content, and leaving a link in it. Some companies will do this for you.

If you are active in forums that allow links in the signature, then this is a method of link building. 

Remember, Google's ideal would be that the only way that you can rank in their search engine would be through legitimate link building -- that is -- other people legitimately linking to your site. If your site is content based -- this means getting real traffic (not bleep traffic where people get paid 2 cents to click a link), where real people will like your site, and link to it through their own volition. Google doesn't like the gaming of their search engine, and anytime a new method comes up, they are pretty good at figuring out how to nullify & even penalize it.

As for just getting "known" by search engines, simply submitting it will make it aware of your site -- https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/6259634?hl=en

As for getting a consistently better ranking -- you'd be much better off working to build up legit substance -- attracting a small number of legit visitors (via leaving thoughtful/interesting comments on relevant blogs, etc), and having a strategy to increase the chances of them sharing links to your site.

A link & mention from even a somewhat established blogger (by that, I mean even like 1000 regular readers) will do more for your SEO than any SEO paid service.

#10 Claire22

Claire22

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:18 AM

SEO is compulsory because SEO does not only increase the visibility of a website in the searching engine but it also promote the website traffic. Most of the companies use Facebook and twitter to earn their incomes but you can also use Youtube, Pinterest, Instagram and linked-In, Some of the social media channels . It is not possible to manage all the social media accounts because the social channels engagement with the users. User engagement also inform the users about the brands and products that are offered by the company.

#11 RenoGeek

RenoGeek

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:25 AM

My 2 cents based on building hundreds of website over the years for myself and clients.

But most SEO "experts" will disagree strongly.

Don't start the SEO chase. You will find what works today will be downgraded and penalized by Google at some point in the future.

Meaning your site may rank well for now and could be on page 50 a year from now when Google decides to many are using the latest "trick".

So what I suggest is to build good strong sites with lots of content related to the subject at hand.

Build authority by having other websites link to you because you have become a good source of information in your field.  

Sounds boring and take a fair amount of time. But sites I have built this way are stable and their ranking don't shift with the wind or the next change to the google Algo... 

I am not anti-social, I'm just not user friendly. 

Have you backed up today? Did you backup your backup?

Try restarting your computer before asking for help.

(yes we can tell when you said you rebooted and did not).

Virus Removal Guides
Computer Technician Checklist

Microsoft Safety & Security Center

#12 Johnnyshask

Johnnyshask

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:45 PM

301 Moved Permanently
Click here!..