Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

In My Computer,when I click on

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 1littlebit

1littlebit

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:50 AM

It all started when my mouse was double clicking everything,..opening folders,tabs,websites,...etc. By sheer luck I had opened the Task Manager and was looking at the Processes Tab and noticed that there was a file called,"VistaDrive.exe" So I said to myself, wtf is that doing there? Thinking it was a trojan or something,so I stopped the process! Then I typed msconfig in RUN and found VistaDrive.exe in Startup tab,and I disabled that! Then when I went into my computer to hard drive C: to get to windows and delete a folder called VistaDrive,...then when I came out of there,to get back to My Computer,...I had lost my C: hard drive icon...it was just an image-like looking file. So back to google search,and came up with this:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r16798823-XP-Pro-Local-Disk-icons-broken
So then, in an attempt to fix it ,...looking at the 6'th post,

"to kw0
Launch Regedit, and look for the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\C

On a stock install, "DriveIcons" doesn't exist and the reason for it to exist is to make a custom label or icon for a drive. So you can safely delete "DriveIcons" to return it to default. No reboot should be required. If it doesn't exist, then atleast we have looked."

So I deleted"DriveIcons" and the drive icon returned! BUT Wait! Now when I click on the C: icon,..Instead of getting the folder contents,..I get a dosbox with c"\windows\system 32\cmd.exe
And to top it off,..the double-clicking mouse behavior still remains! Well to say the least,..I still have a bit of hair left on my head after going through all that for nothing! :scratchhead:
I must forewarn you that I'm running without an antivirus,..but I did install malwarebytes and spy hunter 4 and they didn't find the trojan or keylogger that I thought was there! Right now I'm feeling like a dumb-ass for not protecting myself enough to avoid these issues.! :(
The bottom line here,..is that I'd like to have my C: drive folder back and resolve the double-clicking mouse behavior please! So can someone help me please? Thank you up front!

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 July 2016 - 09:12 AM.
moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1littlebit

1littlebit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 05:47 PM

Can someone help me or not? Like do I have to go somewhere else to get help,because it just looks like I'm getting ignored here! :huh:

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 09:11 AM

Deleted my suggestion. You are following this topic and if you get email notifications of replies you will see what I said in the email. Please wait until a malware removal helper replies. A system restore could possibly mask anything going on now.

A quick search of VistaDrive.exe brought up the fact that it is an advertising program and possibly a backdoor Trojan. Because of this and the fact that you have no anti-virus I have moved your topic to Am I Infected.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 July 2016 - 09:16 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:32 AM

Please run TDSSKiller.

Please download TDSSKiller from here and save it to your Desktop.

The log for the TDSSKiller can be very long.  If you go to the bottom of the log to where you find Scan finished you will see the results of the scan.  If it shows Detected object count: 0 and Actual detected object count: 0, this means that nothing malicious was found and you will not need to post the log.

1.  Doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then click on Change parameters.

tdss1_zps90132559.png

2.  Check Loaded Modules, Verify Driver Digital Signature, and Detect TDLFS file system.

If you are asked to reboot because an "Extended Monitoring Driver is required" please click Reboot now.

tdsskillermultiple_zps472c18eb.png

3.  Click Start Scan and allow the scan process to run.

tdss4_zps6792a13c.png

4.  If threats are detected select Cure (if available) for all of them unless otherwise instructed.

***Do NOT select Delete!

Click on Continue.

tdss5_zps98fc5887.png

5.  Click on Reboot computer.

Please copy the TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt file found in your root directory (typically c:\) and paste it into your next reply.

Note:  The log may be very long.  You may need to break it into parts to post the whole log.

Post this in your topic.

Please run Malwarebytes AntiMalware

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

1)  Double-click on mbam-setup.exe, then click on Run to install the application, follow the prompts through the installation.

2)  Malwarebytes will automatically open.  You will see an image like the one below, click on Update Now.  

mbam1_zps98e7fba9.png

3)  Click on Settings, you will see a image like the one below.

malware%20settings_zpsixkea5sd.png

When Settings opens click on Detection and Protection, then under Non-Malware Protection, click on the down arrow for PUP (Potentially Unwanted Programs) detections and select Treat detections as malware.

4)  Click on Scan (next to Settings), then click on Scan Now.  The scan will automatically run now.

5)  When the scan is complete the results will be displayed.  Click on Delete All.

malwarenew_zps34b58fdc.png

6)  Please post the Malwarebytes log.

To find your Malwarebytes log,download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop.

To open the log double click on mbam-check.exe on your desktop.  Copy and paste the log in your topic.

Please run the ESET OnlineScan

This scan takes quite a long time to run, so be prepared to allow this to run
till it is completed.

***Please note. If you run this scan using Internet Explorer you won't need
to download the Eset Smartinstaller.***

ESET Online Scanner

• Click here to download the installer for ESET Online Scanner and save it to your Desktop.
  • Disable all your antivirus and antimalware software - see how to do that
    here
  • Right click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • Place a checkmark in YES, I accept the Terms of Use, then click Start. Wait for ESET Online Scanner to load its components.
  • Select Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications.
  • Click Advanced Settings, then place a checkmark in the following:
    • Remove found threats
    • Scan archives
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • Click Start to begin scanning.
  • ESET Online Scanner will start downloading signatures and scan. Please be patient, as this scan can take quite some time.
  • When the scan is done, click List threats (only available if ESET Online Scanner found something).
  • Click Export, then save the file to your desktop.
  • Click Back, then Finish to exit ESET Online Scanner.

Edited by dc3, 23 July 2016 - 10:33 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 1littlebit

1littlebit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 06:17 PM

This is where I am at I have ESET and Malwarebytes installed and they didn't find anything! Anyways,when I high lite the hard drive and click on file explorer,I can access the folders! So how come I can access the hard drive with the  explorer but not by directly clicking on it?

#6 1littlebit

1littlebit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:53 PM

Is someone going to answer here? :ranting:

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:31 AM

Run the scans I requested and post the logs in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users