Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Attempting to Log on to Amazon got Pop-up Warning and Announcement

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:21 AM

Using Firefox as my browser - I did a search for Amazon.com today as I have done frequently in the past - instead of getting the Amazon site I got a popup warning and a recording.   I tend to believe that the notice to CALL THE PHONE NUMBER and referring me to Google is bull hockey to say the least.

The pop up said MY COMPUTER HAS BEEN LOCKED but obviously it has not been.

The recording was basically about how I have a virus that threatens the security of my computer and my  financial information so DON'T DO ANY SHOPPING ONLINE until I contact these people.

Does anyone have any knowledge about this.   The warning made reference to RDN/yah.Lover.worm!/055BCCAC9FEC Infection    ---- This reference was included on the screet shot that I could not capture.

Obviously I cannot get a screenshot of a recording - THERE WERE TWO SCREENS that appeared but I was only able to capture one of them for some reason.

Is there a way to copy or attach the screen shot?  In the past I have been able to attach files if I recall correctly?

Thanks

Edited by JayJax, 22 July 2016 - 11:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:59 AM

Its a "tech support" scam. The looks and the scary-like message changes. Whats always there is a phone number to call for "support."  Just close the Windows or bring up task manager and end your browsers process.

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#3 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 02:48 PM

Its a "tech support" scam. The looks and the scary-like message changes. Whats always there is a phone number to call for "support."  Just close the Windows or bring up task manager and end your browsers process.

Well thank you that is good news though annoying that people have nothing better to do with their lives than to be a scammer/con-artist.

I suspected its legitimacy in that in my experience people aren't clammoring to save others from economic/financial collapse as a rule.

I guess what bothered me is how I ended up with this message?   May I take your message to mean that it is nothing ON my computer just something out there in cyber space waiting to take advantage of unsuspecting prey?

How does a simple search for Amazon.com get me there.    Although I must say that USUALLY when I visit Amazon.com I am following a link I already have or in an email from Amazon.

Anyway thank you for the info.

#4 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 03:52 PM

save others from economic/financial collapse as a rule.

yes quite the opposite, everybody wants to sell you something.

nothing ON my computer

While its possible this could be the result of adware or some other unwanted software on your machine, it most likely is not. Unless you see it again or see other things like pop-ups or ending up on web pages you had no intention of going to then I wouldnt worry about it.

If you do then its probable that you have adware or a PUP.

Its not to hard to get malicious links in search engine results before they get realized and removed or maybe you misspelled it.  You should also be extra careful about clicking links in E-mails.

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#5 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 05:21 PM

save others from economic/financial collapse as a rule.

yes quite the opposite, everybody wants to sell you something.

nothing ON my computer

While its possible this could be the result of adware or some other unwanted software on your machine, it most likely is not. Unless you see it again or see other things like pop-ups or ending up on web pages you had no intention of going to then I wouldnt worry about it.

If you do then its probable that you have adware or a PUP.

Its not to hard to get malicious links in search engine results before they get realized and removed or maybe you misspelled it.  You should also be extra careful about clicking links in E-mails.

Thanks for the extra info - I'll wait and see if it recurs - and I guess I can also feel better knowing that I need not feel singled out in the quest to deprive me of my hard-earned and all too-transitory wages!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users