Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie Website Creator

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Portoman

Portoman

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:29 AM

Hi

I am planning on creating 2 or 3 website but I'm unclear about domain registration.

I know there are different creators, but I went to Go Daddy, and though the domains are cheap, it appears I have to sign up for a monthly website developer plan too, and if I cancel the plan then the website goes down and I cannot transfer the domain to another company to host it. That is how I understand it .

So should I use another company to register the doman with than will allow me to transfer to another host i.e. if I pay another company to bulld the website and they can host it too, so I am not tied into something like Go Daddy ?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Smsec

Smsec

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:51 AM

You don't have to host your site at Godaddy. Lot's of businesses get domains from Godaddy but host sites elsewhere.

I like to keep my domain registrations separate from hosting. You get more flexibility that way. Imagine that you get into a billing dispute with your hosting company and they lock you out of your account or if they go out of business suddenly. If you're domain registration is separate, you can easily log in and change your DNS settings to point to a new hosting company and you're back up and running.

I've been hearing a lot of good things about the Hover domain registrar. I haven't had any experience with them myself.

#3 Portoman

Portoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:07 AM

Thanks a lot. I think Go Daddy was tieing me up in knots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users