Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfer Files To Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,448 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:04 AM

Whats the easiest way to transfer files and documents to a windows 10 computer from windows xp?.....also to windows 10 from vista?

Edited by hamluis, 22 July 2016 - 09:19 AM.
Moved from XP to Win 10 Discussion - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,737 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 05:45 PM

Copy them to an external drive and then copy them from the external drive to the Win 10 computer. Just use Windows Explorer (File Explorer on 10) to drag and drop the relevant folders and files.

The media you use depends on the amount of data you wish to transfer. Up to 64 GB USB memory sticks are more than adequate, beyond 64 GB use an external hard drive, as an example a WD Passport.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 05:47 PM

I used my Dropbox account to move files that way.  Everything gets loaded to the cloud and then I just download the app for Dropbox onto the new computer and sign in.  All your documents will download to the folder created in the left panel of file explorer automatically.  Then you can organize on your computer as you like. If you have a lot of stuff the download will take a while.  www.dropbox.com .  With XP, though, you'll have to upload manually since there's no app for XP.

Edited by jfruch1, 22 July 2016 - 05:50 PM.

#4 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,448 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:59 AM

Copy them to an external drive and then copy them from the external drive to the Win 10 computer. Just use Windows Explorer (File Explorer on 10) to drag and drop the relevant folders and files.

i realize i can do it that way, maybe i didnt word my post correctly,

what i meant is, is there a program i can use to do it with, such as Windows Easy Transfer, or a third party equivalent of that?

i dont think xp or windows 10 has the easy transfer ?????

Edited by mikey11, 23 July 2016 - 08:00 AM.

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:10 AM

Up to 3 or 4 terabytes, I just drag and drop. It works just fine.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 02:49 PM

I use Easeus Todo Backup Free to back up the whole system (XP in your case), then I can selectively restore what I want on the other system (Windows 10 in your case).  Of course since XP has been unsupported for over 2 years now, you could well be better off using the old tried and true drag & drop or my preference of copy & paste to an external drive.  A USB flash drive is probably OK for maybe 10 - 15 GB, but I normally use an external hard drive because they're so much faster, have much greater capacity, and are a bit more reliable too.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 01:47 PM

Post#3 Although dropbox/google drive/any online backup service can be used to transfer files it's generally faster to do it with USB or an external HDD or optical media discs. Uploads and downloads generally take quite a while, that said I can think of some circumstances where uploading on one machine and downloading might be faster than using cd/dvd, but I can't imagine any case where it's faster than USB(especially USB 3.0). Although doing it via an online service ofcourse has the advantage of giving you an offsite backup as you do it and not having to make an upload some other time if you want the things backed up offsite.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users