Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A desparado looking for a solution. Lotus Organizer Version 6.1

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 FarsleyMike

FarsleyMike

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:59 AM

Hi, I am a 75 years old, and have been working on computers before Windows was even thought of! Then, we were using Unix and a form of 'DOS' commands on an IBM mainframe.

The first time I used Windows was when I worked as a reliability Engineer at Ferranti, Manchester.

My reason for joining this forum is the age old problem of out-of-date software. I have used Lotus Organizer, version 4.2, for more years than I care to remember. For the last 4 years I have been trying to get hold of a now defunct version 6.1, which has a number of advantages over 4.2 that I would like use. I have approach IBM to see whether they would be prepared to sell me a copy of the installation file to enable me to carry out an update, but they refused on the ground that it is no longer a supported program. If anybody would either be prepared to give me a copy of the installetion file for this version or, indded, sell me a copy I would be very grateful.

Living in hope.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:04 AM

Do a Google search for it and then select the shopping tab. You should be able to find places that supposedly sell it. For example, I found this site:

http://www.consutronix.com/10257529.html

Please note that I have no clue how reputable this website is, so buy from it (or any others you might find using Google search) at your own risk.

#3 FarsleyMike

FarsleyMike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 02:38 AM

Hi Smax013, may I so thank you for you help in this matter. I have tried nearly 4 different sites on Amazon in the last 4 months, and it is widely advertised on Amazon, but when you go to the site it turns out to be a come-on and there is not Lotus available, but anything else you can think of. However, it does appear that Consutronix may indeed have a copy, but I am doing some internet questioning to make sure that I am not paying $100 odd  dollars to not receive anything, although I do trust Amazon to abitrate fairly in a dispute.

So, I will let you know the outcome, as you may have made an old 75year old man very happy.

In anticipation, Thank you very much

#4 Guest_Allan_1_*

Guest_Allan_1_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:12 PM

Ahh, Ferranti, that rings a bell! Have visited the computer museum in Manchester in the 90s. Also bought my second Amstrad ALT-386SX in Manchester.

You can obtain Lotus Organizer 6.1 as a standalone version only. If you purchase the last SmartSuite on eBay, LO 5 will be included!

LO 6.1 may seem to be outdated but it works on Win 10! Have a look at this website:

https://www.pcs-bihn.de/bestellsystem/lotus-organizer/index.php

This company not only sells the last version of LO (which is 6.1) but also some excellent add-ons (which are in German only).

Their price is euro 99.90. For that price you get LO 6.1 plus the add-ons which are in German. However, they write that they only sell to customers in Germany and in non-EU countries. Also, I do not know whether their LO 6.1. is multilingual or German only. (Could be that there is a multilingual version only, I do not know.) I have purchased their add-ons only and they are in German but again I do not know about LO 6.1.

Perhaps you should get in touch with that company and ask if they would sell you a multilingual version of LO 6.1 to the U.K. I only can recommend the company. They are very serious.

The e-mail address is mailto:info@pcs-bihn.de and the gent's name is Mr Willi Bihn.

The other alternative is to google around and find something on internet (which you will).

Hope that will help you.

#5 FarsleyMike

FarsleyMike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 02:17 AM

Hi Allan_1, thank you so much for your advce and information. As far as I am awayre, the SmartSuite cluster was always a multilingual installation, so I will go for it. I was told about an American company that was selling a copy, But, having sent them an Amazon question message 3 days ago and not received a reply, I am rather nervous handing over a $105 bill of sale. However, you have dealt with this German Company and received the goods, so that makes me happier. Best regards. Mike Staveley.

#6 Guest_Allan_1_*

Guest_Allan_1_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:56 AM

Hello Mike. Just to let you now: My Lotus Organizer 6.1 is English only, i.e. not multilingual. It seems, there also exist versions in German only. I do not know whether the company I mentioned above sells an English version. If it does not work out, try a Google search using "lotus organizer" 6 . I cannot provide more details as it would violate forum rules. Good luck. Allan.

BTW. The Lotus Organizer 6.1 program number you would look for is 5724-E71. Here, you got the IBM Lotus SmartSuite forum: http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/ssforum.nsf/SortedAllThreadedweb?OpenView&ExpandView&RestricttoCategory=Organizer .

#7 FarsleyMike

FarsleyMike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:29 PM

Hi Allan, I had a major problem with the German Company in that they refused to sell me a copy of the the program, even though I can speak a fair amount of German. They are not prepared to sell outside Germany, but when I asked them whether they would sell a copy to a German working in England. I got a curt reply that they were not prepared to deal with me any more and would not asnwer any further questions. I was prepared to spend EU180 to purchase 2 licenses. But they just put me down. I have asked IBM, whether they would be prepared to sell me a copy of the program as I have a legal copy of version 4.1 However they refused as it was no longer a supported program and out of copyright. If I give you my email address, could you please contact me. mike.stavelewy@virgin.net Cheers Mike

#8 Guest_Allan_1_*

Guest_Allan_1_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:33 PM

Hello Mike. Please have a look at the e-mail that you just have received. Best Regards, Allan_1.

#9 Guest_Allan_1_*

Guest_Allan_1_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:41 PM

Hello Mike. There must be a typo in yr e-mail address. I sent another e-mail to mike.staveley@virgin.net.

#10 FarsleyMike

FarsleyMike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:18 AM

Hi Allan, You must have guessed my mind and intention,thank you very much all is well and you have answered my question. I can sail off into the blue sunset now. You have made an old man very happy :bubbles: :bubbles:

#11 FarsleyMike

FarsleyMike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:51 AM

Hi Allan, just one supplementary, I read a review of Lotus 6.1 about 4 years ago and it stated that one of the enhancements that 6.1 brought to the program was the ability to choose a colour for diary entries, which is available to other section of the Organizer. As I have many different hospital appointments, it would be an advantage to highlight different specialities' appointments using a different colour text. Could you please confirm that this is a fact or not?

#12 Guest_Allan_1_*

Guest_Allan_1_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 04:39 PM

Hello Mike. As you correctly write, colors can be added to other sections, such as the Planner. However, in Appointment, you can add Categories only. Moreover, you can define, i.e. add further Categories yourself. Also, you can link an Appointment to a Contact. Or, conversely, create an Appointment in a Contact.

However, I did not manage to colour Appointments (which does not mean that this is not possible). I guess, I just use some 40% of LO's capabilities.

#13 FarsleyMike

FarsleyMike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:04 AM

Hi Allan,

Well thank you for that information, which is very useful and I must attempt to find a way of selecting or, indeed, copying a coloured message fro Wordpad into the diary section of the organizer to see whether that works.  

Thank you for all your help and assistance it is much appreciated.

#14 ddahl44

ddahl44

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:03 PM

I have 6.1 running and I just might have the install discs somewhere. Let me know if still interested.

#15 Nudibranch

Nudibranch

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:36 AM

For nigh on 30 years I have been using Lotus Organiser V5.0 and have been trying for years to get the latest version that I understand to be V6.1

If anybody has V6.1 and perhaps an ISO file on say Dropbox, then that would be GREAT.

Conversely, I can do likewise for V5.0 as I have an original legit CD.

I am using it nicely on W10 x64, but installed in "Compatibility Mode"

Am hoping V6.1 fixes a few bugs.

Any feedback, please email me:  ass@acenet.com.au

Thanks in advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users