Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New build trouble - no power

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tangled

Tangled

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 12:57 AM

I just built a new gaming PC with my son. We have built other pc before. We seem to have everything connected properly yet the pc is not getting any power. I checked the power Supply and the fan turns when I hit the test switch. Can anyone give me any advice to trouble shoot it. Nothing is illuminated or powered up within the pc. I have tried reattaching the connector yet same results. Thank  you in advance for any help.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,351 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 05:07 AM

Parts?

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:44 AM

Make sure that nothing is grounding out on the bottom of the motherboard, and reset the BIOS to factory default. If all that checks out, do a simple bench build:

> remove the mobo (motherboard) from the case and sit it on a foam pad or cardboard; keep the CPU mounted on it.

>insert one stick of memory in the #1 slot

>connect the power supply to the mobo, then plug in the power supply to the wall outlet.

>connect the keyboard, mouse and video to the monitor, do not connect anything else.

>find the tiny socket on the mobo where the Power switch on the front panel cable plugs in, and cross those two exposed electrodes with a screw driver.

The computer should power up and you should get the POST screen on the monitor. If you do not, and you followed the above instructions accurately, either the power supply is bad or the mobo is bad. If you do not have a power supply tester, try swapping it with a different PS. If the fans spin up and you get the POST screen the power supply is bad. If you still get nothing, probably the mobo is bad.

Link here for more detailed information on the above.

Good Hunting!

Edited by ranchhand_, 23 July 2016 - 08:49 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 Tangled

Tangled
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 23 July 2016 - 11:14 AM

Thank you so much!! I think/hope this is just what I needed. I'll get back to you. Thank you again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users