Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant find the BackUp folder after copying it to windows 10 partition

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cisitech

Cisitech

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 12:32 AM

Hi guys,

three days ago I have backedup data from a hard drive that needed to be formatted and a fresh copy of windows 10.

Here is what i have done exactly.

1- Copy/paste data from Original HDD -that needs a fresh windows 10- to another PC using the SATA to USB 3.0 cable.

2- Reinstalled the HDD into the laptop> Format >installed windows 10 through a USB stick.

3- Installed couple of application using Ninite (Chrome, FireFox, AVG, Google Earth and Team Viewer)

4- installed drives using driver booster.

5- Turned of the Laptop, took the HDD > attached it to the SATA to USB 3.0 cable > Cut/Paste the Back up data into a folder on the C:\ named Old.

5- Reinstalled the HDD in the Laptop and the file disappeared but there is still 145 GB used out of 681 GB which means the Data is there somewhere.

6- tried everything (showing all hidden folders including system folder > explored using winrar) and every possible soultion on the internet but nothing shows up.

7- took the HDD back to the other PC using SATA to USB 3.0 and nothing shows up but the (145 GB used is still there.

8- ran a disk repair through windows (although I was scared to lose the data but the windows restarted with same issue (145 GB used but no folder).

9- Created a new folder and named it "Old" copied the folder to C;\ and an errors pops up saying something wrong and gave the code "0x80070034".

10- tried to copy again and it copied > opened the folder and nothing is there.

11- tried to delete the fodder and another pops up with this code "0x80070570".

Now am hopelessly running a data recovery through iCare Recovery which is taking ages to do the DeepScan thing.

I can still see the 145 GB being used but the folder hasn't showed up.

Please help as am hopeless now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cisitech

Cisitech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 12:54 AM

Even after I ran through the data recovery I still cant see the folder. this is driving me crazy  :smash:

#3 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 02:25 AM

Does something like WinDirStat see the folder?

#4 Stancestans

Stancestans

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 02:25 AM

I really wish you hadn't cut & pasted (moved) the backed up data. In future, use copy and paste instead. I have little faith in SATA-to-USB cables. I recommend internally attaching the 2.5" laptop drive to a desktop (if you have access to one) using a SATA cable plugged into a SATA port on the motherboard and connected to the PSU for power. If that option isn't available, I recommend using an USB enclosure or dock. Those cables can be finicky and lead to filesystem corruption and data loss.

If you connect the laptop HDD to another PC, none of its partitions will be assigned the driver letter C: Drive C is the system drive of the currently running operating system, so if you cut & pasted data to drive C: then you did not transfer the data to the external data. The data is still on the drive C of the other PC.

#5 Cisitech

Cisitech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 01:31 AM

I haven't tried WinDirtStat! (what is that BTW?). And I have tried connecting it straight to the motherboard but that didn't work as will. Eventually I had to connect the HDD to a 3rd Desktop and ran iCare recovery to recover the files.

Thanks for your help Appreciate it.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 24 July 2016 - 05:00 AM

WinDirStat is a free tool for visualizing the data on a drive/drives.

Really nice IMO!

If the 145 gB is still being used, try another bootable disk (such as the Ultimate Boot CD or a Live Linux distro) to see if it's visible there.

Or, you can use this free data recovery tool to see if the data is recoverable (but it'll cost if you want to actually recover it):  http://www.runtime.org

I've used this for years, and it was money well spent.

Other (free) options are:

- Recuva: https://www.piriform.com/recuva

- PCInspector.de: http://www.pcinspector.de/default.htm?Language=1

I last used PCInspector years ago.  It was a very powerful tool (akin to the GetDataBack tools), but was very difficult to use (needed someone with advanced file system skills).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users