Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem with websites etc.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sunkist1

Sunkist1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 11:34 PM

I've been having some weird experiences;  the more time that passes, the more often it occurs.  I go to websites, forums, etc., that I have never been to before, and messages come up saying my IP address has been blocked, banned, or blacklisted. 

The first incident was a couple of years ago;  having trouble with my cell phone, I Googled to find a forum that was all about cell phones;  when I attempted to join, the message said my IP address was blacklisted because it was associated with spam.  More recently, I've found regular websites that I can't bring up on my computer, saying the website owner banned my IP address.  I've had at least a half-dozen experiences like this, mostly during the last couple of months. 

I don't know if it's related or not, but I went to a forum tonight and it said 'welcome back, your last visit was 3:40 a.m.'  The last time I'd been to that particular forum was a couple of months ago, and I've never actually joined it. 

Specifics:  I've never spammed any sites, no one but me uses my computers, I have a modem & DSL no wi-fi.  I have Windows 7.  And I've had the same internet company for many years.

All I was able to find online that I understood was about disconnecting modem/computer, but that wouldn't do any good because I automatically disconnect my entire system every night and even when I'm going to be away from the computer for a few hours. 

I contacted my internet company but they didn't offer any info or advice.  All they did say was type in a bunch of commands, etc., which I'd not be able to figure out how to do in a million years. 

So would anyone here possibly have an idea about what's causing this problem, and if there's anything I can do about it? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:53 AM

Most Internet connections use dynamic IP addresses from the ISP. While you typically can have the same IP address assigned by the ISP to you, it can also change.

So, if this is all tied to a specific IP address, then it is possible that someone else was assigned that IP address and was spamming, etc.

You might see if these pages help at all: http://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-removal or https://www.whatismyip.com/why-is-my-ip-blacklisted/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users