Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unexplainable failure of shell GUI application to start less than %1 of the time

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 oddT

oddT

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:29 PM

I am working on systems that have less than a %1 failure rate per day, but it's very annoying when it happens.

This is using Windows 7 (embeded - POSReady).

We've replaced explorer.exe as the shell with a C# app. This app is a full size GUI that also launches a few other programs.

The problem is, on rare occassion (less than %1) after a reboot, nothing starts. The GUI app logs start, the applications that it starts logs start - but nothing ever shows up. Just a black screen. Logging off/on always fixes the problem.

I can log in with remote tools, open task manager and see that none of the executables are running. I can remotely start the GUI app and everything starts as expected.

We are running a whitelisting and virus scanning solution - both of which have been extensively examined and no evidence can be found indicating that they killed these applications.

The GUI application starts subordinate processes independent of itself (there is no child/parent relationship).

I'm running out of places to look. Looking for ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users