Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Powers On But No Post, No Beeps, No Video!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 03:49 PM

So I was trying to burn a DVD using Nero 7 Ultra on my new computer when there was an error about the DVD-RW drive driver. Then the computer completely froze up. The keyboard and mouse didn't respond and even the reset button on the tower was non-functional. So I held down the power button until it shut off. I waited 30 seconds and then powered back on. The CPU and case fans spun up and the DVD and CD drive lights began blinking but there was no video, no POST and no "beeps" from the computer. The hard drive would power up but it wasn't spinning up to full speed, just kind of idling.

So, I first disconnected the DVD and CD drives and that seemed a logical first step. No dice, no change. This was followed by the video card, sound card, RAM, and disk drive. Then I replaced the power supply. Still nothing.

The motherboard and CPU are brand spanking new, I got them a week ago! The DVD and CD burners are less than a year old and have worked flawlessly up til now. The video card is a Nvidia GeForce MX 400 which is about three years old. The hard drive is a 250GB that I got from a coworker.

How can I fix this?Did the motherboard and/or CPU fry? HELP!

Specs:

Motherboard: ECS 661GX-M
Inel Celeron D 2.66GHz

Dual Boot
MS Windows XP Pro SP2
MS Windows 98SE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TheEmuRider

TheEmuRider

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:02 PM

First thing is to make sure you have BOTH the 24-pin ATX power and the 4-pin connection to the motherboard.

Second is to reseat the card to make sure it is connected properly.

Next I would strip it down to motherboard/cpu/ram/videocard... take it out of the case and lay the motherboard on a piece of cardboard. Try to power on. Problem might be due to a short in the case.

If all else fails it might be a faulty board. I have gotten 2 faulty boards in a row now and am on my 2nd RMA :thumbsup:

EDIT: another thing...

if you are using the same hard drive from your last motherboard you will most likely need to reformat it/reinstall new drivers for it to work.

Edited by TheEmuRider, 13 August 2006 - 09:12 PM.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 11:20 PM

I've already tried most of the things you suggested, except for removing the MoBo and setting it up on some cardboard. Tomorrow... too tired right now.

I partitioned and formatted the drive before installing both Windows versions. The machine worked fine for a week, but just stopped!

#4 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 05:19 PM

Is it possible your BIOS is corrupted? Can you have it tested or re-flashed to check?
It doesn't seem right that a driver error could simply blow your MoBo (that blows.. lol). And from what you said, you didn't do anything I haven't done 100 times...?
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users