Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan Running more noticeably than it used to.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Richardf77

Richardf77

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 05:50 PM

I have a 5.5 year old Packard Bell desktop, running windows 10 (for about 7 weeks). Until recently it ran very quietly (hardly knew it was on most of the time). However we recently had a couple of unusually hot days, during which the fan understandably started running more noticeably. Fine, but temperatures have now returned to normal and it is still running faster and more loudly than before the hot weather.

I am hoping the machine just wants cleaning (and nothing more serious). If so how do I go about doing it? Would a very gentle vacuum clean do the job or will I need to open the case up. Never had to open this particular machine up and being my main PC am apprehensive about taking this step.

Please advise.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,886 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:20 PM

During the cleaning cycle of the unit, near the end, the fans will have picked up a considerable amount of dust and dirt. This collects on the leading edge of the blades on the fans and will change the sound from a whisper when clean to a jet roar when packed up with dust bunnies.  The added dust will also reduce the cooling effect and require a higher speed to get the same cooling as when clean.  I use a one inch paint brush with the bristles cut short to three quarter inch, and a small vacuum that has a plastic tip wrapped with foil and grounded.  In tough areas, canned air can be used where the brush can't reach.

Edited by mjd420nova, 21 July 2016 - 09:23 PM.

#3 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 03:52 AM

Would the dust build up also account for poorer overall performance? PC has been running much slower since the fan started running faster!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users