Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vaio won't launch Windows

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Big-Brice

Big-Brice

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:23 PM

So a friend brought me his girlfriends laptop due to it not launching Windows. I get a mfewfpk.sys error, can't launch windows, it can't repair windows, I tried a win7 USB and it says no OS found. I can't access the bios due to bios password (that the user doesn't know) and Sony refuses to do anything in regards to the one time code.

Also, the bottom of the laptop doesn't have the windows sticker on it for the windows key. Any idea where it might be? It is a Sony Vaio SVE151390X.

I can't get any info off the laptop since I will not launch in any way shape or form, including safe mode.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Also, I believe it is either win8 or 8.1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 granada12

granada12

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:39 PM

I just wanted to say, have you look under the battery for the windows licence key. Sometime's they hide it there.

Sorry that i can't help you much more with your problem.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:39 PM

Any OEM with Windows 8 or 8.1 pre-installed has the key embedded in firmware. A reinstall self-activates. 

Edit: If the recovery partition is intact you can do a factory reset by following this guide if you have the assist button. This will also let you save any data before the reset.

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36806/c/65,66/kw/windows%208%20assist/

Another option is to download 8.1 using the Media Creation Tool and try doing a System Restore. I would try this method before the factory reset.

Edit: If a System Restore does not work you can pull any data from the drive by attaching it to another computer using an enclosure or USB adapter. It can also be done with a Live Linux disk to a USB external drive or using the assist button if you have it. 

After pulling the data you can then do a clean install or factory reset. 

Windows 8 should also let you do a refresh. This keeps your personal data but any programs installed after purchase would need to be reinstalled.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 July 2016 - 01:47 PM.

#4 Big-Brice

Big-Brice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:25 PM

Granada I checked there as well, I'm not sure where the heck it could be.

JohnC. I have tried the assist button and using the repair, it says an error occurred, restarts, and tries to boot windows again, which leads to the failure, and informing me that the driver is corrupt (mfewfpk). I cannot gain access to the bios to do anything so I'm unsure as to the state of the partition, but I do know the repair fails, boot from media fails, safe mode fails.

But from what I understand from the rest of your post, the installer I downloaded for 8.1 from Microsoft will self activate when installed? The owner didn't seem to care about any data or files on the PC so this may be the answer I was looking for. As for the issue with it not wanting to boot from USB, is it possible this is due to UEFI settings, and will be resolved after creating an installer using the creation tool?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:32 PM

You can't boot a Windows 7 USB if SecureBoot is enabled in UEFI/BIOS. You would need to use either a DVD or USB flash drive created using the Media Creation Tool. 

If you want to boot a Windows 7 USB then SecureBoot would need to be disabled and possible Legacy Boot or CSM boot enabled in UEFI.

Also, you may need to install additional drivers from Sony's support site. These would include Wifi and Ethernet drivers as the Media Creation Tool would not include these. 

Tapping F11 at boot should bring up a boot menu that lets you pick your bootable device.

http://docs.esupport.sony.com/pc/VPCEG1_EH1_EJ1_EL1_series/EN/contents/02/04/01/01.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 July 2016 - 02:33 PM.

#6 Big-Brice

Big-Brice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:38 PM

JohnC.

Thanks a lot man, I'll be trying this in the morning after work.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:42 PM

Good Luck. Post back a progress report. Thanks.

#8 Big-Brice

Big-Brice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:37 AM

Hey Johnc I tried a win8 USB using the media creator tool, and a win8 DVD made through the same tool, and it kicks out a operating system not found for both attempts. Not sure what to do now. It appears that it may have been dropped, some broken trim off the edge. I transferred the ram from one slot (seemed loose, kinda sloppy) to another slot that was a tight fit. I've hit a wall.

#9 Big-Brice

Big-Brice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:58 AM

Trying to launch windows still throws out the mfewfpk.sys driver corrupt. Trying to run the repair throws out an error, and it restarts too quickly to read the rest of the text that pops up.

#10 Big-Brice

Big-Brice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 09:23 AM

I've informed the owner its probably a bad HDD, waiting to hear back what he wants to do. Thanks for the help. If you think if may be something else, let me know though*

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:12 AM

Operating System not found still indicates to me the DVD or USB flash drive is not booting correctly.

With the USB flash drive attached can you change the boot order in UEFI? Did you try tapping F11 at boot with the USB flash drive attached? Even without a hard drive the DVD or USB flash drive should boot to an install window.

Edit: Tapping F2 at boot should get you to the UEFI settings.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 July 2016 - 10:12 AM.

#12 Big-Brice

Big-Brice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:22 AM

I cannot enter the bios. The owner does not know the bios password. No F keys will bring up anything while booting. The only way to get it to do anything is to use the assist button, while the system is powered off. At the assist menu I can choose to boot from media, and choosing this option I get a black screen for a few seconds, then 'No Operating System Found' for both USB and DVD versions created by the media tool. When I used the DVD I did hear the drive spinning up and running.

#13 Big-Brice

Big-Brice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:23 AM

I also tried removing the cmos battery for about 10 minutes, but the system still retained the bios password.

Edited by Big-Brice, 24 July 2016 - 10:24 AM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:44 AM

I have no experience with the site shown on this video but if your computer throws a 16 digit password after trying three times this may work for you. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bV61PjSFP8

Another higher risk option is to reflash the BIOS but I would not recommend that.

#15 Big-Brice

Big-Brice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:56 AM

I have no experience with the site shown on this video but if your computer throws a 16 digit password after trying three times this may work for you. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bV61PjSFP8
Another higher risk option is to reflash the BIOS but I would not recommend that.

Yeah I've seen that video. I'm not sure how much I trust it. I may inform the owner and suggest it as a solution

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users