Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mac Password Help Needed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,367 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 12:03 PM

im a windows guy and dont know too much about mac, this is my wifes mac,

she has had the same user name and password for years, and this just started today,

i get to the login screen enter user name and password and get the "shaking box" like the password is incorrect,

i unplugged our wireless router so the computer would NOT connect to the internet, started up the computer and the password WORKED!

plugged in the router, restarted the computer, and same problem, the "shaking box"

basically the password will work when the computer is NOT connected to the internet, but does NOT work when the computer IS connected to the internet,

any suggestions?

i suppose the easy fix is to disconnect from the internet before shut down and reconnect manually ever time she starts it up, but that a pain in the.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 06:23 PM

I'm a Windows guy also but with the fiasco with forcing Win 10 down my throat I bought a Mac 27". I've only been using the Mac for 3 months now, and I'm still learning. I also have seen the "shaking box" sometimes. Coming out of "Sleep Mode" if I have to sign in, if I put the wrong password in I get the "shaking box". I also noticed after turning on the computer after a shut down the log in will appear on screen. If I log in too soon I will get the "shaking box". I wait about 20 to 30 seconds after the log in appears on screen giving the computer time to load, then log in. Haven't seen a "shaking box" in the last 2 months since I give the computer time to load.

 Late 2015 5K 27" Mac, 4GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB Fusion Drive, macOS High Sierra, 10.13.5 
iMac Clone and Backup with SuperDuperTime Machine & iCloud
How much do you know about distracted driving? W82TXT 
clear.pngWhen Driving: "Get Your Head Out Of Your Apps." clear.png

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:04 AM

im a windows guy and dont know too much about mac, this is my wifes mac,

she has had the same user name and password for years, and this just started today,

i get to the login screen enter user name and password and get the "shaking box" like the password is incorrect,

i unplugged our wireless router so the computer would NOT connect to the internet, started up the computer and the password WORKED!

plugged in the router, restarted the computer, and same problem, the "shaking box"

basically the password will work when the computer is NOT connected to the internet, but does NOT work when the computer IS connected to the internet,

any suggestions?

i suppose the easy fix is to disconnect from the internet before shut down and reconnect manually ever time she starts it up, but that a pain in the.....

Go to System Preference > Users & Groups.

Click on Login Options at the bottom of the user list.

Does the "Network Account Server:" at the bottom of the window have a "Join" or "Edit" button next to it?

#4 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,367 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:11 AM

it has an "edit" button

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:22 AM

it has an "edit" button

Then the Mac is setup to use a Network Account Server.

Is this Mac also used for work at some office? If so, then this is likely needed for office use. If this is the case, then you likely cannot turn that off. So, for use at home, you might need to create a local only account or have the company IT folks change the network account to a mobile account. Either way, you might need to talk to the company IT folks.

If it is only a home use computer, then this may have been setup by mistake and potentially could be turned off.

#6 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,367 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:32 AM

yes it is also used at my wifes work,

but she has been bringing this exact same computer home every night for 2 years and using it at home without any issues, this problem just started all off a sudden yesterday,

she is a teacher, so the computer has not been to her work in over 3 weeks

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:23 AM

yes it is also used at my wifes work,

but she has been bringing this exact same computer home every night for 2 years and using it at home without any issues, this problem just started all off a sudden yesterday,

she is a teacher, so the computer has not been to her work in over 3 weeks

It is possible that they changed something related to the network account. Maybe it was setup as mobile and they changed that.

To be honest, we are getting outside of my area of knowledge. I know of the existence of "network accounts", but not really how they work or are setup.

My suggestion would be to talk to the school IT folks, especially if this is a school supplied computer (which I am assuming to be true without word otherwise).

If it is not a school owned computer and you want to make changes, then you can either create a new user account that would be a local user account or hit the "Edit" button on the Network Account Server setting and deselect the selected server. The former should be doable when you boot up while not connected to the network and then useable with the network when you log into that account. The latter might kill the functionality when your wife goes back to school, but then it could either be just a matter of re-selecting the server under the Network Account Server...or in worst case dealing with the IT folks.

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:17 AM

Has your wife changed her password recently? If so, it's possible the change took effect on the Mac, but not on her network account. We have Mac users where I work and I've seen this happen; Macs don't always play nice with Active Directory.

It's also possible that her Mac isn't connecting to the school network when she is at home, so the Mac can't authenticate that her password is correct. By disconnecting it from the network, it's using the credentials stored on the Mac.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users