Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows 10 upgrade issue from Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 smink

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 11:16 AM

Windows 10 upgrade issue from Windows 8

HP pro 3515 series MT

HP Product # E3S56UT#aba

I did the upgrade as directed. Everything seemed to work OK. Then one day I no longer had the use of anything on my task bar and Start Button

To fix this, I did a restore to a date before the problem. I backed up all of my data, and tried to recover windows. That failed.

Next, thinking that a clean install of 10 would fix everything, I went on the Microsoft Website and downloaded Windows 10 to a flash drive. Rebooted and started the install.

The error message below is where I am at. And I am not a happy camper.

On the Windows set up screen I selected Drive 0 / partition 2 OS/ primary

I did not choose to format... just went to next.

The error message: "windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table  on EFI system. Windows can only be installed to GPT disks. "

What does this mean? If I wipe the drive, will I be able to install Windows 10? And If I install windows 10 after wiping the drive, will it be recognized as Genuine? 

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,135 posts
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 12:12 PM

Can you please follow instructions at below website link to perform a repair install of Windows 10. When you have perform repair install your personal settings will be untouched mostly and programs you have installed and your personal files and folders will not be touched even do performing repair install looks like clean installing Windows its not as long as you start the setup process from running windows OS.

Repair Install Windows 10

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users