Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade/rollback questions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Casual Brouser

Casual Brouser

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 08:27 AM

- Looked for answers before posting, didn't see them posted anywhere -

- If I auto upgrade I can rollback within 30 days using a start menu option (I forget exactly which option) but is there a way to manually roll back after that?  (Currently running win7 Pro).

- If I upgrade free, then roll back, can I later re-upgrade again free since its already on my computer?

- After July 29th (or whatever date), will they still offer online upgrading even though it will cost $$$?

- If I wanted to run dual boot win7/win10, wjhat's the easiest way to do this without also needing (buying?) a new key for the second windows installation?

I want to take advantage of the free upgrade but I'm not really ready to actually work in win10 yet. So any tips on taking advantage of the free upgrade now but actually taking advantage of it later would be helpful.

I'd clone my drive and upgrade just one drive for free, but that costs almost as much as win10 will cost retail and I'm allergic to unnecessary work.

Apologies for the long post, any answers to any parts would be helpful.  Otherwise, I'd be tempted just to wait to upgrade.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:17 AM

Hello

- If I auto upgrade I can rollback within 30 days using a start menu option (I forget exactly which option) but is there a way to manually roll back after that?  (Currently running win7 Pro).

While people have suggested ways, they haven't tested them yet! It may not work. The best way would be to clone the disk :(

- If I upgrade free, then roll back, can I later re-upgrade again free since its already on my computer?

Yes. Once you upgrade, you get a digital entitlement sent to Microsoft. If you try to reinstall, it will match the entitlement, so your computer will be activated

- After July 29th (or whatever date), will they still offer online upgrading even though it will cost $$$?

Very likely they will keep the Media Creation Tool available.

- If I wanted to run dual boot win7/win10, what's the easiest way to do this without also needing (buying?) a new key for the second windows installation?

Partition your disk, use the Media Creation Tool to install on the partition for Windows 10, and use the Windows 7 product key, before the deadline and you will have a dual boot system ready!

If you have more questions, let me know, and I will try to answer them

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:44 AM

Yes there is a way to roll back previous install Windows OS after 30 day roll back option has passed but this process is not easy to explain how to well it needs a its own tutorial thread which maybe one day i will create this tutorial.

2GvnEq2.gif

#4 Casual Brouser

Casual Brouser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:15 PM

Thanks, Cking!

So do I assume the Media Creation Tool will allow me to install Windows 10 directly to the partition of my choice, and it will let me install directly to an empty partition, or do I need to install win7 on this new second partition too (which may need a new WIn7 install key.)

(I have a "recovery partition" on my Dell XPS 8700 but have been told I need a new key even to install another copy of my same already installed Win 7 OS on a second partition.)

Hello

While people have suggested ways, they haven't tested them yet! It may not work. The best way would be to clone the disk :(

Yes. Once you upgrade, you get a digital entitlement sent to Microsoft. If you try to reinstall, it will match the entitlement, so your computer will be activated

Very likely they will keep the Media Creation Tool available.

- If I wanted to run dual boot win7/win10, what's the easiest way to do this without also needing (buying?) a new key for the second windows installation?

Partition your disk, use the Media Creation Tool to install on the partition for Windows 10, and use the Windows 7 product key, before the deadline and you will have a dual boot system ready!

If you have more questions, let me know, and I will try to answer them

-CKing

#5 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:25 PM

Not really. In a dualboot, you should always install the oldest OS first, and the newest OS last. The newer bootloaders (Win8+) will load Windows 7 just fine, but the reverse may not be true. The Media Creation Tool only allows you to either upgrade the current OS or create a bootable installer. Create a bootable USB installer, boot from it, partition the disk and install it on the new disk

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Github | Keybase

#6 Casual Brouser

Casual Brouser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:21 PM

Not really. In a dualboot, you should always install the oldest OS first, and the newest OS last. The newer bootloaders (Win8+) will load Windows 7 just fine, but the reverse may not be true. The Media Creation Tool only allows you to either upgrade the current OS or create a bootable installer. Create a bootable USB installer, boot from it, partition the disk and install it on the new disk

Ah, great, thanks!

#7 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:22 PM

No problem :)

Github | Keybase

#8 Casual Brouser

Casual Brouser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:32 AM

IOh and...

Will Microsoft credit the activation when I create the bootable installer or when I actually install?  (That would give me more time to do the actual install as I could do it in a few weeks.)

Will the bootable installer handle the partitioning ("safe partitioning") for me?  I used to use 3rd party partitioners ages ago...be handy if it was built in....(I always make backups just in case, of course.)

Edited by Casual Brouser, 22 July 2016 - 07:33 AM.

#9 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:29 AM

Will Microsoft credit the activation when I create the bootable installer or when I actually install?  (That would give me more time to do the actual install as I could do it in a few weeks.)

When you actually install, it will ask you for a product key. You can put it in there, and when Windows connects to the internet, it will verify that it is a legitimate key and then activate itself. You should hurry, as the offer will run out on July 29

Will the bootable installer handle the partitioning ("safe partitioning") for me?  I used to use 3rd party partitioners ages ago...be handy if it was built in....(I always make backups just in case, of course.)

You can use disk management for this: http://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-with-windows-7-or-8/

Edited by CKing123, 22 July 2016 - 10:30 AM.

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users