I’m experiencing rather strange of an issue with my GeForce GTX 460.
Everything started about six months ago, after I changed the thermal compund.
I cleaned the GPU with rectified spirit, put on the new paste and put the card together just as it is shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqJTWlXhHdU.
First paste I’ve tried was the Accura Heat Absorber Gray. Later the same day I changed the grease I’ve felt something strange in the air. Like after laser printing, there was some kind of dust in the air. After few days I decided to stop using the computer – I couldn’t stand it any longer. My eyes were irritated, I started having headaches, I felt that dust in my mouth and throat. (I must admit that I covered the GPU with the compound like it was a slice of bread. I figured that that might be the cause, but even though I later put only minimal amounts of grease, the problem persisted).
The second paste I tried was a silicon grease. After some time I started to feel like a had fever. It turned out that it was caused by the zinc oxide from the silicon compound and I was affected by metal fume fever.
The third paste I tried was the MX-2, but I still felt that something's wrong with air humidity – my eyes and skin were irritated and I felt numb after using my computer. I also had headaches.
I must add that it’s my third computer. I got my first one In 2003 and I’ve never experienced anything similar in almost 13 years, despite using one for several hours a day, every day.
I thought that it may be a problem with the grease but after trying 3 different compunds I’m assured that it’s either something wrong with the card or it’s me doing something incorrectly.
I’ve tried consulting some professionals about the matter, but the only thing they came up with is that it may have something to do with power supply ionizing the air, but in the meantime I’ve changed it too, so maybe it’s not the case. I’ve also tried some other forums, but noone could help me as for now. I could just buy a new card, but I need to know what exactly happened and how to fix it, especially because my bedding also absorbed some of that dust and I can’t get rid of it.
I even tried to buy the original paste (which most likely was the EVGA Frostbite), but couldn’t find anyone who sells it.
Hope someone could give me some piece of advice.
Thanks in advance.