Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GeForce GTX 460 - problem after changing thermal compund

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 De_dust2

De_dust2

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:18 AM

Hello

I’m experiencing rather strange of an issue with my GeForce GTX 460.

Everything started about six months ago, after I changed the thermal compund.

I cleaned the GPU with rectified spirit, put on the new paste and put the card together just as it is shown in this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqJTWlXhHdU.

First paste I’ve tried was the Accura Heat Absorber Gray. Later the same day I changed the grease I’ve felt something strange in the air. Like after laser printing, there was some kind of dust in the air. After few days I decided to stop using the computer – I couldn’t stand it any longer. My eyes were irritated, I started having headaches, I felt that dust in my mouth and throat.  (I must admit that I covered the GPU with the compound like it was a slice of bread. I figured that that might be the cause, but even though I later put only minimal amounts of grease, the problem persisted).

The second paste I tried was a silicon grease. After some time I started to feel like a had fever. It turned out that it was caused by the zinc oxide from the silicon compound and I was affected by metal fume fever.

The third paste I tried was the MX-2, but I still felt that something's wrong with air humidity – my eyes and skin were irritated and I felt numb after using my computer. I also had headaches.

I must add that it’s my third computer. I got my first one In 2003 and I’ve never experienced anything similar in almost 13 years, despite using one for several hours a day, every day.

I thought that it may be a problem with the grease but after trying 3 different compunds I’m assured that it’s either something wrong with the card or it’s me doing something incorrectly.

I’ve tried consulting some professionals about the matter, but the only thing they came up with is that it may have something to do with power supply ionizing the air, but in the meantime I’ve changed it too, so maybe it’s not the case. I’ve also tried some other forums, but noone could help me as for now. I could just buy a new card, but I need to know what exactly happened and how to fix it, especially because my bedding also absorbed some of that dust and I can’t get rid of it.

I even tried to buy the original paste (which most likely was the EVGA Frostbite), but couldn’t find anyone who sells it.

Hope someone could give me some piece of advice.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:56 PM

OK, let's assume that issue has something to do with GTX 460.

My theory: you put too much thermal paste. Then as GPU got hot, that excess thermal paste got hot and after some kind of chemical reaction dues was released from GPU. Then your outblowing case fans blew dust out of case.

If that theory is right, there may be enough dust left inside case and/or parts and when you use computer, that dust is still there even you have changed GPU.

Your symptoms sound so serious that I recommend first throwing that computer out and getting new one. Then cleaning your bed and room. Then amount of dust shuld be small enough.

I have to admit this is one of the strangest threads I have ever read.

#3 De_dust2

De_dust2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:16 AM

Thanks for the reply.

As I metioned, it happened a while ago, I just can't find any clue on how to fix the issue. After the incident I changed the quilt and pillows, kept ventilating the room for few days and moved the computer to another room, where nobody sleeps anymore, so I could experiment freely. I also cleaned the case with air compressor.

Getting a new PC is not quite an option, I only planned to change the casing, SDD and maybe the main culprit - the graphic card. I need to find a way to clean the other room and the computer components from the dust - I thought that air ionizer could help, but I don't know which one should I buy or would it even help at all.

And I have to admit that's the strangest thread I've ever written :D If someone told me such a story like a year ago, probably I wouldn't believe.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:24 AM

Thanks for the reply.

As I metioned, it happened a while ago, I just can't find any clue on how to fix the issue. After the incident I changed the quilt and pillows, kept ventilating the room for few days and moved the computer to another room, where nobody sleeps anymore, so I could experiment freely. I also cleaned the case with air compressor.

Getting a new PC is not quite an option, I only planned to change the casing, SDD and maybe the main culprit - the graphic card. I need to find a way to clean the other room and the computer components from the dust - I thought that air ionizer could help, but I don't know which one should I buy or would it even help at all.

And I have to admit that's the strangest thread I've ever written :D If someone told me such a story like a year ago, probably I wouldn't believe.

If case has most of dust, you perhaps can manage by switching just case. After you're finished with cleaning and such.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:11 PM

It would be a good idea to blow out the PSU and clean or change any dust filters that may be fitted to the fans. And wear a face mask while you are doing this work.

Like Drillingmachine I have never heard of anybody suffering this sort of reaction from even an excess of heatsink paste. I suspect you have a previously undiscovered allergy to one of the ingredients, and a problem with allergies is that once you are sensitised to something you tend to stay that way. It might be worth consulting your doctor. And for the future, when i was training as an electronics service tech we were always told 'a thin, even smear'. I even used to use a finger tip to do the smearing until I realised that if it gets on to your clothes it does not come off !

Chris Cosgrove

#6 De_dust2

De_dust2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for the reply.

If case has most of dust, you perhaps can manage by switching just case. After you're finished with cleaning and such.

The problem is, I'm not sure if the card is still spreading the dust or not. Wish I could measure it somehow :/

It would be a good idea to blow out the PSU and clean or change any dust filters that may be fitted to the fans. And wear a face mask while you are doing this work.

Like Drillingmachine I have never heard of anybody suffering this sort of reaction from even an excess of heatsink paste. I suspect you have a previously undiscovered allergy to one of the ingredients, and a problem with allergies is that once you are sensitised to something you tend to stay that way. It might be worth consulting your doctor. And for the future, when i was training as an electronics service tech we were always told 'a thin, even smear'. I even used to use a finger tip to do the smearing until I realised that if it gets on to your clothes it does not come off !

Chris Cosgrove

I doubt that my symptoms were caused by an allergy, because, as I mentioned, I used 3 different compounds and all 3 affected my health in a different way. Since the incident I also feel that I'm not as mentally capable as before. I'd say that's more likely an intoxication.

I've read that thermal greases are made of nanoparticles. Such small particles could breach the blood-brain barrier when airborne and might damage the brain. But that's just my theory.

Maybe I'm just hypersensitive.

As for the grease implementation, I now put only a rice grain sized dot in the middle of the GPU :)

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions so far.

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2016 - 01:00 PM

GTX 460 value is very low so switching card is not big investment.

#8 De_dust2

De_dust2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 02:15 PM

GTX 460 value is very low so switching card is not big investment.

Indeed. If it was broken by normal means I would just throw it away and buy another one, but the card is technically working properly (I could play game likes Witcher 3 even after the "incident" without problem) save the fact it's trying to kill me :D. I hoped to find a solution just out of sheer curiosity. I just wanted to understand what happened, solve the problem and maybe reverse some damage done. Buying a new card is more of a workaround, than a solution, but I'm afraid I'll be forced to do it. I just hoped that I could avoid unnecessary expenses.

Anyway, thanks again guys that you took the time to at least try to help me. It seems that the mystery will remain unsolved.

Regards, Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users