Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mac And Linksys Router

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Connieiz

Connieiz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 03:18 PM

Hey folks-

This is my first post to BC about a computer problem. Please forgive my limited computer language/knowledge.

I'm having a problem with new computer I've purchased. I bought a Mac iBook G4 (OSX 10.4.7 operating system). I have been trying to configure my router, a Linksys WRT54G. Currently, I have the disc loaded on to a Windows XP, and am using the Mac's wireless connection to connect to the internet, although it is not a secure connection. Linksys Customer Service staff are not familiar with Macs, and are unable to assist me in configuring this router on the Mac.

Can someone explain the process of configuring the Linksys router on my Mac? I want to make the connection a secure connection.

Thanks,

Connieiz

Edited by Connieiz, 13 August 2006 - 03:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:59 PM

I'm confused.. are you running XP on your Mac, or are you accessing the router through another computer?? I have a hard time believing that Linksys has nobody that is familiar with a Mac (rather pathetic actually). :thumbsup:

If you can clarify your setup a bit, perhaps someone here can help you.

#3 Connieiz

Connieiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:23 PM

Groovicus thanks for your reply.

Currently the router is loaded on to windows XP based pc because Linksys customer service reps are not familiar with Macs. Apparently Mac has a different encryption protocol and I am having difficulty configuring the WEP security so the Mac can recognize it.

Hope this information helps.

Thanks again,

Connieiz

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 24 August 2006 - 04:27 PM

Hi connieiz,
I have a PB G4 that I recently got, 1st comp, and I configured its airport with a Linksys wrt54g using an article I found while google searching. I forgot where I found it but here is a link to another http://micro.uoregon.edu/homenetworking/linksys/
I didn't read all of this and I don't know if it's the right one for you. The one I used to configure my airport with was from an older linksys but they were pretty much the same type of setup. Hope this helps you.

#5 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 01:25 AM

I've found the link that I used to configure my PB G4 with my Linksys WRT54G, here it is http://homepage.mac.com/car1son/initial_linksys_setup.html
Hope this helps you.

#6 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 02:14 PM

Even though it's a mac, it should still be configured the same way. To make a secure network enter the ip address for your router, once you have done that it should prompt you for a password which should be username: admin and password: password, your first step to internet security? Change your password, something complicated is best. Second step, go to your wireless settings, should be on the right hand side, and setup a different ssid, you can have wireless control where you can go to setup access list, and input your wireless mac address... but, in my experience it doesn't work. Go to your encryption options down near the bottom and set up a nice wep or prefferably wpa code. Now remember that passphrase! and copy down the hexidecimal code and keep it to yourself if all possible. Go to your ibook and enter the domain name and the passphrase and you should be on a secured network "hurrah". Now you can increase your security even more, by first checking to see in your network connections if there are any other wireless access points you connect to. Such as your neighbor, make sure you disable these, as this next step will be valuable in pc protection. Go back to your router, go back to the wireless options and look for something that says "broadcast ssid" and uncheck the box. Now your ibook should become unconnected to the internet, but shortly reconnect. To your domain name with your secured network. This means, that only people who want to really get at your network can even see your network, and once they do see it the wpa is still (to my knowledge) hard to crack. wep is still, to my knowledge, cracked by the people who really want in. Howeve wpa should be safe. Hope this helps some.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users