Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP CPU races to 100%

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Roger2016

Roger2016

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 03:59 AM

Mod Edit, Moved to Linux from Am I Infected ~~ boopme

Hi all.

Last week My laptop got infected with something and is preventing regular use of it.

I Have scanned the computer with following programs to no avail.
  • Avast AntiVirus
  • Rogue Kill
  • Adware cleaner
  • Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
When I try to open ms-word or some other program the CPU shoots up to 100% and the task manager graph races at high speed.

while scanning Avast found something called win32:delftcrypt-e and cleared it.

Avast firewall reports of a attempt to send something to a zapoto.org URL by wscript.exe.

Any help would be much appreciated in recovering my laptop.

Edited by boopme, 26 July 2016 - 08:58 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 08:39 AM

You should start a thread in the Virus Removal Section after reading the Pinned Topics showing what logs need to be attached to your first post.

Personally, you are going to continue to get infected as Microsoft has not been patching known security holes in Windows including the latest regarding printer drivers.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2016/07/14/pwned-by-your-printer-microsoft-patches-critical-printer-spooler-bug/

One last thing: if you’re still running Windows XP or Server 2003, old bugs like this are almost certainly present, but are never going to receive fixes.

Now the news is out, this bug is essentially an XP zero-day, because how to exploit it was known before a patch was ready…

If possible upgrade the OS or remove XP and install a linux distro. What distro would depend on your CPU and RAM size.

#3 Roger2016

Roger2016
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:27 AM

No support from microsoft for XP. Then I need to go with a linux distro pretty soon. But First I need to scan and remove the virus infection and get all my data from the computer. This is the hardware I have: Intel Atom N280@1.66Ghz; 1GB RAM and 500GB HDD. I thinking one of the ubuntu linux would be good. Though I have no idea which version I should choose. Also I will go through the pinned posts for what sort of logs should be posted in my new post. Thanks for pointing these out!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 04:38 PM

Sorry for the late reply. Had a power outage.

I would ask your question in the linux forum but if you boot a live linux disk you can pull your data from the computer. This is the best approach as you are doing this outside of windows. You can then wipe the drive and then install linux. For your computer you may want to look at Xubuntu or Mint Xfce but the advisors in the linux forum would be the ones to ask.

#5 Roger2016

Roger2016
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 01:45 AM

Thanks for the tip.

I will install the Xubuntu flavor in a couple of days.

Hope I am able to do it by myself as i dont have experience instaling OS before.

Thanks again.

#6 Roger2016

Roger2016
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:19 AM

Hi all.

This is the hardware (Asus eeepc) I have:

Intel Atom N280@1.66Ghz;

1GB RAM and

500GB HDD.

I have no idea which ubuntu version I should choose. Someone recommended Xubuntu.

Any tips regarding the version of Xubuntu would be great -

Or should I just go with the latest 16.04 LTS version available here

Cheers

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:24 AM

Hi and welcome to the Linux forum.

I would download Xubuntu and run it "live" ( by booting it from DVD or USB ) for a while, to check that it suits you and your computer, before installing it.

(bear in mind that when running it from DVD or USB, it will be a lot slower than running it from your hard drive)

If there's anything you don't like about it, there are plenty of other choices. :)

Edited by Al1000, 26 July 2016 - 10:27 AM.

#8 sinister_midget

sinister_midget

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:30 AM

So this is a netbook. Similar to a couple of the ones I have.

I would install something lighter with those specs. I sure wouldn't put Ubuntu on it. Too heavy. Even Lubuntu would push it pretty hard with only 1G RAM.

Peppermint, Zorin. Linux Lite (still a bit heavy), LXLE - any of those should work a little better. If you can max out your RAM (2G) you could go a little heavier. But even then it's going to stress things a bit if yo go too heavy on the effects and desktop.

You can find a whole lot of possibilities at Distrowatch. There's a drop-down at top. There are many there, some not suitable for your needs (firewalls, servers, penetration testing, etc) and some that aren't maintained much any more. But you can read about them, go to the homepages and see what they're all about and so forth.

Just keep in mind you're looking for 32-bit only light versions. You can spend some time looking. And you can always ask for some help and guidance here if you have trouble figuring things out.

Installing isn't hard at all. But make sure you get everything you need off of the netbook first or it will probably be lost. There are ways to get it using linux, but it can be a bit daunting for somebody with no experience. Even with guidance. It can be done if all else fails, though. It just takes persistence. You can get all of the help you need right here if that's what it takes.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,740 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:26 PM

As I understand it Lubuntu is the lightest of the Ubuntu family, and that would be my choice with those specs.  Xubuntu would be fine also, but if you want to squeeze as much speed as possible while staying in the Ubuntu family, Lubuntu is the one, but try both.  They are a little different so you will see which one you like.  

And do make sure you get the 32bit as suggested above.

The link for Xubuntu is fine, if you don't know about Torrents go with the "Mirror downloads" and choose one closest to you.  

"Lubuntu is a faster, more lightweight and energy saving variant of Ubuntu using LXDE, the Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment. It is targeted at "normal" PC and laptop users running on low-spec hardware."

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu

Lubuntu download: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu

Scroll down to the 32bit here

ZNqiYud.png

Edited by pcpunk, 26 July 2016 - 02:32 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#10 Roger2016

Roger2016
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:09 PM

Yes I was thinking about installing some version of Ubuntu before.

I primarily use this laptop to type documents in MS-Word or notepad. and I store them here as a backup or email using Thunderbird/Ms-outlook. Other than that I don't use this laptop much. So any version of ubuntu that has a MS-office like program would be great.

I don't care for visual effects or graphics or speed too much. Just a usable laptop is okay for my purposes.

so my choices are LUBUNTU or XUBUNTU at the moment.

How I am going to manage to install them is what is giving me the jitters. I haven't installed Linux before so I hope there is a graphical guided installation process in L/XUbuntu.

#11 sinister_midget

sinister_midget

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:25 PM

Installation is simple.  Again, before you start, make sure you have everything off of XP that you want to keep.

You might want to make sure you already have an internet connection so it can update everything as it goes instead of making you go back to do that later.

Anyway, boot the system live, set the internet if needed, click on the "Install" icon, and answer some questions. The most difficult part is at the disk usage.

It will ask you if you want it alongside XP, but XP is dead, so I wouldn't worry about that.

It will ask you if you want to use the whole disk. I'd choose that one.

Ignore the 'something else' option.

After that it's a simple case of answering various questions. Default ones for language, keyboard, probably even time zone, etc are fine. Username and password you'll need to set. But there's a tick box there that lets you login without a password. If you aren't doing anything sensitive that you'd worry about other people seeing, you can go with that. But if there's anything you'll need to protect, leave that alone and provide your password every time you login. Just make sure you remember the password you set if you decide to auto-login because you're probably going to need it at some point for installing something or configuring something (wireless internet, installing software and doing updates, for instance). There are ways to reset it if you forget what it is. But that's not something you want to mess with if you can help it.

That's pretty much it until it's done and you're ready to boot to the installed system.

After you're that far, if you need anything else just ask.

#12 Roger2016

Roger2016
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:59 PM

I will go with Xubuntu and try it.

So this are the steps I have in my head as of now.

1. Download and copy the .iso file in the harddisk.

2. Create a bootable USB drive from the .iso file using Rufus.

3. Change the boot order in the Bios to reflect the USB stick OS

4. Go from there to install or not install.

Am I missing anything?

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,740 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:08 PM

Sounds good!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#14 Roger2016

Roger2016
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:42 AM

I took backup of important files from XP.

1. Downloaded "xubuntu-16.04-desktop-i386.iso" and saved it.

2. Got Rufus and created a bootable disk with default options

3. Changed boot order in XP machine to removable disk, HDD, CDROM. Changed quickboot -> disabled, Quietboot -> disabled.

4. Plugged in the USB Bootable stick in to xp machine

5. restarted the machine.

BIOS doesnt recognize the USB Bootable stick and proceeds to windows XP boot menu options.

Tried rebooting the machine with USB stick plugged in to a different USB socket on the machine. No Use.

BIOS is not recognizing the USB bootable stick. :(

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:26 AM

If Rufus failed try UnetBootin but first try the following. Do you have a model number of the PC? 

Attach your flash drive and tap the Esc key while booting. This should bring up a boot menu where you can select your USB flash drive as a boot device. If you have a setting in BIOS that says FastBoot or QuickBoot disable it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users