Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"insect on screen" malware

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BobMcBobby

BobMcBobby

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:19 AM

Hi all,

I have some malware on my computer (Windows 10) that creates small "bugs" that crawl around on your computer screen. They look, move and act very realistically, causing myself to doubt my sanity a few times as I tried to push on them through my LCD screen. But they are indeed software- upon close examination you can see the little pixels that make up their bodies. I noticed this happening after I downloaded some video game emulation software "retroarch" and also a torrent full of retro arcade games (MAME).

I made a youtube video to show the "bug" in progress: https://youtu.be/LLS9USUS83E

At any rate- Malwarebytes doesn't detect anything, and shockingly Google yields no relevant search results. Usually that means no one else is having that problem, or it's something new. The only other similar thing, accorinding to google, appears to be a screen saver that has more cartoon looking bugs running around from 2008 or so. I've also scanned my computer with Spybot 'Search and Destroy', but nothing found.

Any advice?

Edited by BobMcBobby, 21 July 2016 - 01:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:23 AM

Hello BobMcBobby, and Welcome.

Your problem was downgraded from Malware Removal to Am I Infected, as the solution is generally simple.

Please note that your "Bug on Screen", is part of a Screen Saver. There are dozens listed by Google under " Bugs on screen."

Bugs That Walk and Fly around your page - GitHub Pages <<< shows this is a common program and may have been included with your game download.

The one I have linked shows small spiders, flies, and small flea type insects.

The typical program scripts are shown and described in the page above, and are not uncommon, and not an infection.

If you wish to leave them on the screen they cause no problems but you can fully remove them if you wish.

Your best ideas are to either Reset your Screen saver, or System Restore to a point earlier than you set up the games.

Often they are placed as a joke or part of a game download.

If you do not know how to  How to Find and Set Screen Savers on Windows 10  or use  System Restore Windows 10  for your computer, please ask for more directions.

I hope this helps, or solves your "problem". :thumbup2:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users