Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RANDOM MUSIC PLAYS ON PC EVEN AFTER POWER DISCONNECTED

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 grey1

grey1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 12:08 AM

I have a weird problem similar to that posted some years ago - 
"Random music playing virus (STDRT.EXE, crosspost)"
I have a  computer with Win7 Ultimate connected by HDMI to a flatsceen HDTV, not connected to any external speakers.
Other connections are an ethernet cable and power cable.
The same random music 4 bars of some march once or repeated up to 4 times at random intervals from a few minutes to hours. often days. 
I ran a host of anti malware  Avast(subscribed), Mawarebytes, Adwcleaner,TDSKiller, Roguekiller, Microsoft Malicious Sofware removal, PrevX, Spyhunter, SuperAntiSpyware, and about 2 more. A number of PUP's were found and cleaned. I get an attack once every few years and have always suceed in eliminating it using these. I have the same hardware connected for past 5 years. Problem only started some weeks back.
When I disconnect HDMI, music continues
When I disconnect ethernet, music continues 
I went into "manage audio" and disabled all sources,  music still there. I clicked speaker icon no unusual sources
When I disconnect the power cable, music continues I dont know how long it continues because I can only leave it disconnected overnight as I need to use it the next morning. I am a hard of hearing but  it freaks out my wife jn our bedroom at night as she has super sharp hearing
How is this possible?  Can a virus start on residual electricity left in the PSU? Or have I missed something?
I am on 2 weeks holidays and intend to re format and reinstall when I return. I am curious  to find out whether a program can start on PSU electricity. 
I dont have the confidence to use the tools HJT and Combofix etc that you use but if my reformat fails I will come back to you.
Thank you in anticipation

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:33 AM

When I disconnect the power cable, music continues

How is this possible?  Can a virus start on residual electricity left in the PSU?

No virus or anything else can operate on a system without power, assuming we are talking about a desktop system (i.e. not a laptop, etc with battery) not operating from a UPS.

Where is the sound actually coming from? Your speaker arrangement is not clear to me, are the only sound producing devices in the system the TV speakers? Does the sound emanate from them? If the computer does actually have any speakers attached, it's possible for them to pick up some broadcast signal independent of the computer. If the TV speakers are used for the computer sound, and the effect occurs with no HDMI cable connected, then the cause is in the TV not the computer. Again, it is possible for electronics to pick up some nearby broadcast signal or similar, even from something like a close neighbor's faulty equipment.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 grey1

grey1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:25 AM

It is a desktop, the only speaker is the TV speaker and the music plays even when the TV is switched off. There is always a small PC speaker inside.(which was used in the old XT days)

There no other speakers of any kind. The music is the same march, nothing else.. I live in a detached house, separate from neighbours -two lawyers and a old gentleman all friends.I have a game card Geforce GT670. There is no UPS or any other power source. The ethernet cable is connected to a TPLink ethernet over power line. The powerline goes to the back of the house where the router is.This ethernet cable is disconnected as I said above. There are no speakers in the TPLink. There is a built in wifi in the computer which is of course not working when the ethernet cqable is disconnected and the router at the back of the house is switched off.and disconnected . The only thing I have not done which I just thought of is to move the desktop to another part of the house.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,661 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:18 AM

the music plays even when the TV is switched off. There is always a small PC speaker inside.

That's why I was seeking clarification of exactly where the sound originates from.

#5 grey1

grey1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 03:37 AM

Yes I understand. This is totally weird. Where is the power coming from? The sound cannot be streamed from the router - all plugs are pulled off.

When a TV program is on, the music can come on so we get two sounds TV and music at the same time. When I immediately switched off the TV, only the music remains.The PC speaker is quite moderately loud not like the old XTs etc. All sound sources have been disabled by manage audio.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,661 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:04 AM

I still don't know where you are saying the sound is coming from. You say you get the two sounds, but don't say if they are coming from exactly the same place. Then when you mention turning the TV off, you say the PC speaker is not as loud as an old XT type. That's why I asked where exactly the sound appears from.

Edited by Platypus, 23 July 2016 - 08:05 AM.

#7 grey1

grey1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:39 AM

I am sorry. When I re read my reply, I realised I was not clear. The  sound is coming from the PC speaker. It comes on regardless of whether the TV is on. or not which was what I was trying to say..

The sound is much louder than the XT PC speakers I was used to but not as loud as the TV (I am hard of hearing). Made a mess of explaining this.

Once when I ran the suite of anti malware programs it stopped for about a month. Then it came back and repeated re runs of the same but updated virus definitions anti malware did not stop it.

Then I ran the anti malware in safe mode and that stopped it for about another month but came back. Repeated the anti malware suite runs in both safe and ordinary mode did not stop it anymore.

Thanks for your patience.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,661 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:07 AM

There is this, which I haven't heard report of for many years:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/261186

However if the same thing has occurred in the past and consistently but temporarily been dealt with by eliminating malware, then I'd suggest posting the information in the Am I Infected forum, and waiting for one of the Malware helpers to guide you through an analysis of the system. It's possible a targeted malware search may locate something missed by programs.

Edited by Platypus, 28 July 2016 - 03:09 AM.

#9 grey1

grey1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:09 PM

Thanks. That is interesting. The music is not either of them. When I get back home, I will look further into it. Thank you again

#10 grey1

grey1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:13 PM

I have found out the source of the music.
I found out how and disabled the internal speaker of the PC, the music continued.
I moved my large floor standing PC to another part of the house. No music was heard frpm there. 
Music still came out of the sitting room where the TV is. I thought I had made a mistake  due to my hearing and pin pointed the wrong source.
Then I  googled and found there are means to send sounds to your neighbours' TV sets even when turned off.
 I had not suspected a prank because I have respectable neighbours and we are all friends.  Weirdly though  the start and stop of music appeared at many "cheeky" moments such that there is a possibilty that a hacked camera is watching. I have earlier taken off the Skype camera just to be sure.
I told my wife in front of the TV "I give up!". Immediately the music started and lasted  for about 5 minutes -the longest ever. It normally lasts for a few seconds. That made my wife angry. Do not ever make her angry. The music was long enough for the old lady with Supergirl hearing to look behind the TV and she found  the culprit.
There is a shelf behind, next to the TV. It is full of photos large and small displayed in rows. The culprit was hiding deep behind the photos in the form of a toy soccer ball (size of a tennis ball). It had many national flags, if you press one it sounds the national anthem, For some reason only the Saudi Arabian anthem played randomly. It was a present from a Church elder's wife to my grand children, one of whom must have put it behind the photos.
As for the weird timing of the music, I am mulling between taking it to the Church to be blessed or to a mosque (I have to find someone Muslim), after all it is the Arabian anthem.
PS We have moved the ball to the kitchen, despite micro waves, radio, small TV, wifi, it has remained silent..

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,661 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:46 AM

Well, I'm glad you finally tracked it down! Thanks for letting us know what it was. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users